The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+7
allenmmusic10003
Flyquail56
j beede
wildiowa
Zimmer64
stewdan
Sprags
11 posters

Acoustic Jazz on my Tube Amp and Preamp

Sprags

Acoustic Jazz on my Tube Amp and Preamp Empty Acoustic Jazz on my Tube Amp and Preamp

Post by Sprags Thu May 02, 2013 12:57 am

Ever since getting my VTA ST-120 amp and SP10 preamp I've come to appreciate acoustic jazz. So much so that after hearing the reviews of the SP12 preamp have a more dynamic soundstage I've upgraded to that preamp. I hope it sounds as good as the SP10 Woody I had.

Sure electronic music also sounds good on tube audiophile equipment but I think the tube sound compliments acoustic music to the point where it can be better appreciated.

Years ago I bought an Ultra Lounge CD because it had the kind of music my father enjoyed listening to. It sounded OK on my solid state equipment but it seems the tube equipment really brings it to life. Since then I've added Miles Davis albums and some classical recordings to my collection.

I've even started watching reruns of the old Peter Gunn TV show which focused on cool jazz as part of its appeal. I'd like to find so more old jazz with good female singers from that era. I do have one Billie Holiday CD but I'm sure there are more I need to research.

Any suggestions? ...Thanks....Blake
    stewdan

Acoustic Jazz on my Tube Amp and Preamp Empty Re: Acoustic Jazz on my Tube Amp and Preamp

Post by stewdan Thu May 02, 2013 1:13 am

In the 60's, I always liked listening to Abby Lincoln. As far as Jazz from that era try the Modern Jazz Quartet and and of course Miles Davis. I aquired some early Jethro Tull recordings and at the beginning they were pure jazz and not rock. If piano is your thing, you can also try early Ahmed Jamal.

Have fun!
    Sprags

Acoustic Jazz on my Tube Amp and Preamp Empty Re: Acoustic Jazz on my Tube Amp and Preamp

Post by Sprags Thu May 02, 2013 2:00 am

Thanks for the suggestions. I like just about all kinds of music...except for most Rap and Death Metal. I'll look for recordings by your suggestions. I saw Jethro Tull back in 1976. Ian Anderson was good. Jean Luc Ponty is ok but electric violin has been altered. I'll keep looking too.
    Zimmer64
    Zimmer64

Post by Zimmer64 Thu May 02, 2013 3:07 am

Good to know, that I am not alone Very Happy Will start my SP14 build next week,

I also like to listen to Ella Fitzgerald, Sarah Vaughan or Dianah Washington. I can also suggest to check out the Blue Note lable recordings, kinda THE jazz lable. ECM or Chesky Records offer great recording quality. I found great music from early Herbie Hancock, Lee Morgan, Dexter Gordon, Wes Montgomery, Bill Evans etc. Lot's of really great stuff out there that sounds just fabulous on our tube equipment :-)

Enjoy

Michael
    Sprags

Post by Sprags Thu May 02, 2013 6:39 am

Oh yeah...Billy Cobham and George Duke, Pat Metheny, Bob James, Emir Deodato, and Dave Grusin are good too....but fusion usually is electric.
    Zimmer64
    Zimmer64

Post by Zimmer64 Thu May 02, 2013 7:48 am

Forgot to mention Keith Jarret...
    wildiowa

Post by wildiowa Thu May 02, 2013 9:30 am

You can't go wrong with recordings by the John Coltrane quartet...Elvin Jones, Jimmy Garrison, McCoy Tyner and Coltrane...all acoustic, spiritual, ethereal. I am an old rock and roller and on the way home from the gig on a long ride at night A Love Supreme just put us in another world. Through your system this would be great....recording technology was not what it was today but this quartet...acoustic bass, piano, drums and the sax....wow. My 2 cents...
    j beede
    j beede

Post by j beede Thu May 02, 2013 4:33 pm

Estrud Gilberto/Jobim/Stan Getz. Chris Conner. Salli Terri/Laurino Almeida Duets.
    Flyquail56

Post by Flyquail56 Thu May 02, 2013 9:11 pm

IMHO any list of female jazz vocalists has to start with the queen of jazz, Ella Fitzgerald. I usually listen to more contemporary vocalists such as Cassandra Wilson, Holly Cole, Diana Krall. But if you want to stay with 50s-60s, maybe Nancy Wilson and Sarah Vaughan, they were two of my mom's favorites. Enjoy the search!

Mike
    allenmmusic10003
    allenmmusic10003

Post by allenmmusic10003 Sat Aug 24, 2013 12:06 pm

The Oscar Peterson Trio album We Get Requests (Oscar, Ray Brown, Ed Thigpen). You can hear everything on that recording and on your setup: look out!

A few others:
    Quincy Jones, Walking in Space
    Ella Fitzgerald & Louis Armstrong, The Complete (I think) Verve Recordings (3 albums total)
    Frank Sinatra with the Basie Band, Live at the Sands
    Wynton Marsalis Septet, Live at the Village Vanguard

Congrats on a great system!

WntrMute2
    WntrMute2

Post by WntrMute2 Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:28 am

Cannonbal Alderley
    Art Blakey and the Jazz Messangers
    Dave Brubeck
    Ron Carter, Sonny Criss
    Miles David
    Bill Evans
    Art Farmer and the Jazztet
    Stan Getz, Dexter Gordon
    Freddie Hubbard
    Amal Jamal, Milt Jackkson
    Yusef Lateef
    Gerry Mulligan, Thelonious Monk, Charles Mingus, Hank Mobley, Modern Jazz Quartet
    WntrMute2
    WntrMute2

Post by WntrMute2 Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:39 am

New York Jazz Quartet
    Oscar Peterson, Andre Previn
    Sonny Rollins
    Horace Silver, sonny Stitt
    Ben Webster
    hawaii.ken
    hawaii.ken

Post by hawaii.ken Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:10 am

My favorite vinyl jazz album is "Going Home" by The L.A. Four.
    Jim McShane

Post by Jim McShane Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:31 pm

Allow me to put in a plug for what I think is the best "new" acoustic jazz trio in a long time. Go check them out at www.tri-fi.com

They are amazing!! They turned me into a jazz fan.
    Sprags

Post by Sprags Tue Aug 27, 2013 12:48 am

When living in the Chicago area in the 90's there was a band named Liquid Soul that played live at the Double Door Saloon on Sunday nights. They played what they referred to as acid jazz but it was the same as other acid jazz bands. Mars Williams who played sax for the Psychedelic Furs formed this band with Tommy Klein and and about 3 to 6 other musicians depending on the song list they were playing that night. The acoustics in the club were surprisingly pretty good. I saw them one time while recording for a CD. They have 5 CD's out. All are good. I'd recommend the first titled 'Liquid Soul' the second 'Make Some Noise' and their last to date 'One Two Punch'. The last time I saw them was at the Columbus Jazz and Rib Fest in 2006. The main event was Spiro Gyra. Of course they were good too but being from Chicago I have more of an attraction the Liquid Soul which now plays on Sunday nights at another club since the Double Door closed. If you can't see them live I'd recommend those 3 CD's though all are good.
    quadaptor
    quadaptor

Post by quadaptor Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:53 pm

Just about everything on the Blue Note label is about as good as it gets. Also, anything recorded by Rudy Van Gelder on any label is a sure bet too.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 6:08 pm