The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+3
Bob Latino
kevinmi
skriefal
7 posters

Assistance with ST-120 problem?

skriefal
    skriefal

Assistance with ST-120 problem? - Page 2 Empty Re: Assistance with ST-120 problem?

Post by skriefal Thu May 09, 2013 1:22 am

Sal recommended some additional tests which I completed earlier. I found that the amp is blowing fuses on each power up whenever any rectifier is installed, regardless of which power tubes are (or are not) installed. Also tried an alternate set of 12AU7s with the same result (blown fuse). The two(?) times that the amp powered up without a blown fuse seem to have been flukes. So I can't re-test the voltage on pin 8. There's something else going on. Total guess on my part, but... maybe a bad tube socket?
    nmchiefsfan

Assistance with ST-120 problem? - Page 2 Empty Re: Assistance with ST-120 problem?

Post by nmchiefsfan Thu May 09, 2013 5:50 am

Quad Cap, perhaps? A section could have gone bad. Have you measured the cap or possibly the chokes?
    skriefal
    skriefal

Post by skriefal Thu May 09, 2013 9:59 am

I don't know how to measure either of those.
    Sal
    Sal

Post by Sal Fri May 10, 2013 7:13 pm

Scott, I sent you a PM, give me a call tonight before 11pm eastern time.

Regards,
    Sal
    skriefal
    skriefal

Post by skriefal Fri May 10, 2013 8:45 pm

nmchiefsfan wrote:Quad Cap, perhaps? A section could have gone bad. Have you measured the cap or possibly the chokes?

Your guess is probably correct. Looks like a probable bad/failed section in the quad cap. Replacing the quad cap is beyond my current skills level, so I'll be sending in the amp for repair.

I'm curious to know whether the failed quad cap is a symptom (Weber rectifier failed and took out the quad cap), or whether the failed quad cap is the source of the problem. Or if it's even possible to determine this?

The amp will be singing again soon, so there's something to look forward to!

Thanks Bob and Sal!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 1:11 pm