The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Popping Noise

AMCjeep

Popping Noise Empty Popping Noise

Post by AMCjeep Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:16 pm

I was listening to my ST 70 the other day with my brother and all if a sudden thus constant quick popping noise started coming from the right speaker. Has anybody ever heard of or experienced this? I have no clue. I have a recording of it but I dont know how to post it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Zimmer64
    Zimmer64

Popping Noise Empty Re: Popping Noise

Post by Zimmer64 Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:56 pm

What you describe could be tube arching. Look on Youtube. There are samples to compare with what you are hearing.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:09 pm

It could be a bad 7199 driver tube (on an original type Dynaco ST-70) on that channel ... Try swapping the driver tubes from one side to the other to see if the popping noise changes sides. If it does ... Just replace the bad 7199 ..

Bob
    AMCjeep

Post by AMCjeep Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:26 pm

Oops I should have mentioned that it is an upgraded driver boatd from Triode. I have a 12bh7 & ef86 tubes not 7199's. I looked on youtube but couldnt find anything like my problem. I have moved my tubes from one side, however i think i fixed it. I basically opened it up and literally resoldered every joint. Found some questionable ones (this was my first ever build), reflowed all resistors and caps on the driver board, and swapped out all driver board tubes. So far so good, and she sounds so much better. Thank you all for your postings, this forum has always helped me out. Thanks

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 7:08 am