The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+2
sKiZo
EddieGnz1
6 posters

Which ST70 Kit To Buy

EddieGnz1

Which  ST70  Kit To Buy Empty Which ST70 Kit To Buy

Post by EddieGnz1 Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:46 pm

what is the difference (as objectively as possible) between the following three kits;

1) http://www.tubes4hifi.com/ST70.htm

2) http://www.dynakitparts.com/dynakit-products/amplifier-kits/ST-70-KIT

3) < insert another kit option here that I'm not aware of >

I've never owned a tube amp and i've never built one but my ears are very well trained because I've sold high end tube amps and i've heard myriad high end configurations.  But I'm now starting to learn about building them and I love the DIY approach.  Rather than just being told that one kit is better, I'd like to find out why exactly what makes it better and how does it make it better.

anything you can teach me on the differences would be greatly appreciated.

kind thanks,
    Eddie
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Which  ST70  Kit To Buy Empty Re: Which ST70 Kit To Buy

Post by sKiZo Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:43 pm

One of each ... clown 

Check out the ST120 ... you'll see a lot of praise for that one ...

Zimmer64
    Zimmer64

Post by Zimmer64 Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:38 am

I posted pretty much the same question on the DIYAUDIO forum and ended up with tubes4hifi ST70. No regrets and would do,it again.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/227414-dynaco-st70-kit-your-opinion-please.html

Michael
    anbitet66
    anbitet66

Post by anbitet66 Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:23 am

Eddie,

There is a third option: http://triodeelectronics.com/st70buildkit.html

I bought the board and then proceeded to build a "kit" from new parts scrounged from around the internet.  The actual kit offered by Triode Electronics looks the least like an ST70 including a modern fuse holder and IEC power connector in back, the input jacks are mounted through the chassis, no front facing octal plugs, etc...  It is another option.

I would suggest the tubes for hifi version since it uses an improved driver circuit, not a rehash of the original driver board like the one from Triode Electronics, or the stock equivalent from dynakit parts.  If your aim is to be nearly authentic, then go with the dynakit parts version.  If stock appering at first glance but improved sonics, go with the tubes4hifi version.  The triode electronics board falls somewhere inbetween the two for performance.  I happen to like it, but then I did build it before I knew others were out there and I'm too cheap to pull out the driver board and replace it with something else.

Tony
    arledgsc
    arledgsc

Post by arledgsc Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:34 am

Based upon my experience with the ST-120 amp I would not hesitate to recommend the Bob Latino ST-70.   The chassis is stronger, the low-gain board provides individual bias adjustment for each power tube (huge plus), transformers are first class and conservatively rated. and excellent support.   I'm not sure how the "triode electronics" EF86 driver board would sound.  Guitar amps I have heard with EF86s are screechy.  The "dynakit" version seems much like a replica of the original ST-70 with all its design shortcomings.  So there is a lot of love for the Bob Latino amps and seems like Bob and Roy have addressed all the issues with the original design.  As suggested above you should also consider the ST-120.  I use it everyday, does not disappoint, and the best point is it sounds really good! Nonetheless, Bob's ST-70 amp may cost a few bucks more with options but well worth the slight difference in cost.

Post by Guest Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:00 am

Last edited by PeterCapo on Wed Dec 02, 2020 4:20 pm; edited 2 times in total
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:09 pm

And not to forget, any kit is just a starting point ... I made a few changes to my ST120 and that was half the fun.

All important though ... do your homework and evaluate your needs prior to pulling the trigger. Put some thought into how much power you'll need to give you what you want to hear. Preferred genre, listening levels, speaker efficiency, and the room characteristics have a LOT to do with that.

Your most important tool is patience, but a good soldering station is a big plus also ... wouldn't want to attempt it with a RatShack pencil iron ...
    dmag
    dmag

Post by dmag Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:17 pm

I built triode, dynakit and tubes4hifi.The st70 triode kit for my first project. I would not recommend it.
    I work in marine electronics, so I have no trouble with the tools and assembly.
    However the triode kit assumes you have some basic amplifier knowledge and terms ,which I had none. It was a bitch. More frustrating than fun. The manual wasn't much help in many cases.
    Dynakit with the bias kit option was my favorite. Straightforward. And the original manual was intended for newbies. I'll buck the trend and suggest the quad cap. And skip the el34's and get a quad of Russian 6p3s-e from Jim McShane . He is a very good tube dealer.They sound great ,IMHO. Be sure to adjust the bias for that type tube.
    As far as 7199's go they may cost more ,but since you won't get caught up in rolling them you'll save enough cash to do a mod or two.
    The first project is best simple with instant gratification, and once you start modding, if you do ,a cap board or driver board are easy to do.
    The st35 is also a great option. Initial investment is lower, and el84's have a very nice sound.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 1:16 pm