The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+8
sailor
anbitet66
Laminarman
sKiZo
arledgsc
Bob Latino
kygeezer
DrZ123
12 posters

First Timer...Troubleshooting

DrZ123

First Timer...Troubleshooting - Page 2 Empty Re: First Timer...Troubleshooting

Post by DrZ123 Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:50 pm

Just listened to some Rolling Stones vinyl, awesome. Can't wait to break it in and improve my setup even more!

Anyone know of a plexiglass cover for the tubes to keep them visible but away from the curious soul?
    Sal
    Sal

Post by Sal Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:59 pm

A Dynaco ST-70 cage should fit. I measured my cage on a ST-70 and the height measures 4 5/8", should clear the tubes and transformers on a ST-120.

http://www.dynakitparts.com/dynakit-products/covers/DYNAKIT-ST-70-COVER

Sal
    DynakitParts
    DynakitParts

First Timer...Troubleshooting - Page 2 Empty Sal

Post by DynakitParts Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:16 am

Hi Sal,
            I think we have a dental guy here on the forum who can be of some assistance to you....Maybe you two guys can work something out. Nice 58 Chevy Belair!

You Pal Kevin
    Sal
    Sal

Post by Sal Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:20 am

Thanks Kevin!
    DrZ123

Post by DrZ123 Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:22 am

Any clear covers? I feel like that one hides all the good stuff Sal!
    arledgsc
    arledgsc

Post by arledgsc Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:19 am

"Any clear covers? I feel like that one hides all the good stuff Sal!"

See the link below.  Contact Roy Mottram at tubes4hifi... He's also a regular around here.

https://dynacotubeaudio.forumotion.com/t622-new-product-vta-driver-board-cover-photo?highlight=cover

Last edited by arledgsc on Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:54 pm

DrZ123 wrote:Any clear covers?  I feel like that one hides all the good stuff Sal!

I made a nice little cover for mine ...

First Timer...Troubleshooting - Page 2 Tungsol-kt120s-002

(hee hee)

kygeezer

Post by kygeezer Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:37 pm

sKiZo, I wish you would stop posting pictures of your ugly, sloppy looking amp! It looks so bad I think you should send it to me for proper disposal!
    I guess you can read between the lines and see how envious I am! It is the best looking, actually beautiful amp I have ever seen! If it were mine, I would probably include a picture of it in every message I send.
    Great job!
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:19 pm

You're right ... it's junk ... I'll just throw it out to the curb ...  Sad   tongue 

That was actually my primary incentive though ... covering up the VTA board. Well, one thing led to another ... and there ya go.

Can't remember if I posted this up ... Version 1.0 used the stock chassis but went more for a "steampunkt" look.

First Timer...Troubleshooting - Page 2 Steampunkt-VTA-ST120

Form brass rod for the mini cover around the drivers, braze on some hardware cloth, a bit of polish, and pOOf! ... it's gone. Leave the legs a bit long and tap small holes to hold it in place, then just pop it off as needed. My amp is shelved high, so I didna bother with a top for the cover.

PS ... it only got as far as Photoshop, so somebody feel free to make it real ...
    DrZ123

Post by DrZ123 Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:11 am

Those builds are beautiful. Unfortunately for me in the city, I don't have space, or the skills, for that kind of craftsmanship!

Also, was looking more for something clear to cover all the tubes as they get HOT, rather than just the VTA board...
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:29 pm

First Timer...Troubleshooting - Page 2 Dynaco-toaster

Yeah, I know ... I'll go to my room now ...  jocolor

Realistically, your best bet might be to just shelf it up high. Mine is a good five feet above the floor which keeps it out of reach of those who might be tempted to see just how hot those tubes really get ...

Advantage in summer is the heat stays above your head when you're listening too ... I don't do AC as a rule, so that's a BIG plus ...
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:10 pm

I visited a friend of mine in the 90's.
    A closet next to the listening room had 6 MK-III feeding his horns ( big bass under the house in concrete, lowter as midrange and deccahorns as tweeters)
    Placing the mk-III outside the listening area also made their mechanicalnoice disappear.

arledgsc
    arledgsc

Post by arledgsc Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:23 pm

"Yeah, I know ... I'll go to my room now ...  jocolor"
    You may be onto something.  I kind of like the art deco look plus I can warm my bagels while I sipping morning coffee.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 11:43 am