The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

Balanced Triodes

polarflux
    polarflux

Balanced Triodes Empty Balanced Triodes

Post by polarflux Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:29 pm

Just wondering if anybody has experimented with using driver tubes with balanced triodes for the phase inverter sections? Just wondering what the effect on sound quality would be? Seems obvious that you would also want to use a tube with well balanced triodes in the main driver position, too. Maybe the result is not noticeable so having the triode sections matched is not really worth the expense. Luckily, I will be getting a few tubes with matched triode sections this week to use in the main voltage amp stage, but am thinking I should have also ordered a pair of matched tubes for the phase splitters too.

Thanks

Phil
    peterh
    peterh

Balanced Triodes Empty Re: Balanced Triodes

Post by peterh Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:07 pm

polarflux wrote:Just wondering if anybody has experimented with using driver tubes with balanced triodes for the phase inverter sections?  Just wondering what the effect on sound quality would be?  Seems obvious that you would also want to use a tube with well balanced triodes in the main driver position, too. Maybe the result is not noticeable so having the triode sections matched is not really worth the expense.   Luckily, I will be getting a few tubes with matched triode sections this week to use in the main voltage amp stage, but am thinking I should have also ordered a pair of matched tubes for the phase splitters too.

Thanks

Phil
    Unbalanced triodes does not sound good in a long-tail phasesplitter. Been there, done that.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:54 pm

I can see it being a lot more noticable on a high gain tube like the 12AX7, or maybe even a 12AT7, but is that really a problem with a 12AU7?

I find that swapping center tubes does affect the balance, which makes sense as that's the first stage amplifier for both channels - I've got one with closely matched triodes that seems to center out nicely all on it's own without having to tweak the balance.

Yet another reason I originally went with dual volume controls, and glad I did. It doesn't usually take much of a tweak to center the system - just a nudge takes you from  Neutral  to  Cool  ...
    sailor

Post by sailor Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:15 pm

Actually with the center tube each section has it's own cathode resistor to set the bios current. Unless one section is very weak or has other problems the resistors should make them about equal. With the long tail however you only have one cathode resistor for both sections so matching is far more important. Adding a Constant Current Sink to the cathode as I think Roy has done in his latest driver boards help make the 2 sides equal but a balanced tube would make it even better.
    Tiziano73
    Tiziano73

Balanced Triodes Empty re: Balanced Triodes

Post by Tiziano73 Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:35 am

Yes, you need balanced triodes

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content