The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Cage Paint

dmag
    dmag

Cage Paint Empty Cage Paint

Post by dmag Tue Feb 11, 2014 2:48 pm

Somewhere , I think here,there was a thread regarding a very close match for the original dynaco brown paint.
    I havent been able to find the thread through searches.
    Does this sound familiar to anyone?
    Thanks
    peterh
    peterh

Cage Paint Empty Re: Cage Paint

Post by peterh Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:03 pm

dmag wrote:Somewhere , I think here,there was a thread regarding a very close match for the original dynaco brown paint.
    I havent been able to find the thread through searches.
    Does this sound familiar to anyone?
    Thanks
    You can have mine if you can get me a stainless one. There was one such displayed, i don't
    remember if it was for real or just a autocad/photoshop item.And i do not care about the
    color.

The reason i don't use mine is that it hums violently when mounted on a vta-70. The magnetic
    field from the mains transformer is strong enough to set the upper surface in vibration.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Tue Feb 11, 2014 3:59 pm

peterh wrote:
    The reason i don't use mine is that it hums violently when mounted on a vta-70. The magnetic
    field from the mains transformer is strong enough to set the upper surface in vibration.

From what I understand, the cage should actually reduce electrical hum as it increases the shielding for the sensitive bits.

If it's a mechanical vibration, try setting some weight on top to reduce resonance. If that works ...

Something else to try is replace a couple tube socket mounting screws with long pieces of threaded stock and tap the cover to match the locations. You should then be able tie the socket down with nuts on either side, and adjust the tension on the cover with cap nuts. Option B might be the VTA mounting screws? Best bet would be something close to the middle of the cage.

All theoretical of course ... just thinking out loud. Never tried it myself.

You would have to tap the holes in the cage a bit, but if it doesn't work, a bit of touch up should make it like it never happened.

AssUming you can find the right color paint anyway.  geek
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:36 pm

sKiZo wrote:
    peterh wrote:

From what I understand, the cage should actually reduce electrical hum as it increases the shielding for the sensitive bits.

If it's a mechanical vibration, try setting some weight on top to reduce resonance. If that works ...

Something else to try is replace a couple tube socket mounting screws with long pieces of threaded stock and tap the cover to match the locations. You should then be able tie the socket down with nuts on either side, and adjust the tension on the cover with cap nuts. Option B might be the VTA mounting screws? Best bet would be something close to the middle of the cage.

All theoretical of course ... just thinking out loud. Never tried it myself.

You would have to tap the holes in the cage a bit, but if it doesn't work, a bit of touch up should make it like it never happened.

AssUming you can find the right color paint anyway.  geek

Well, a non-magnetic cage IS the way to go. Everything else is at best a fix. In the meantime i have the cover off.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Wed Feb 12, 2014 5:19 pm

Cage Paint Javabrownpaint_zpseadb7591

This Valspar "Java Brown" is a fairly close match to the older brown Dynaco tube cages. It is also a satin paint with a low gloss. Later Dynaco ST-70 tube cages (maybe 1968 - 1976) had a near black color. The word was that sometimes the brown color would turn a blackish color from the heat directly over the four output tubes. I guess Dynaco's reasoning was that if the tube cage was black to begin with then those four spots above the four output tubes would near match the color of the tube cage making the heat spots blend in and not be so visible.

Bob
    dmag
    dmag

Post by dmag Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:14 pm

Thanks Bob ,
    that's a big help.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:19 am