The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Emerson Lake & Palmer afternoon

Emerson Lake & Palmer afternoon Empty Emerson Lake & Palmer afternoon

Post by Guest Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:25 pm

I've been listening to Emerson Lake & Palmer all afternoon on my ST70, oh my, I'm all gooey inside!......what a sound!  drunken 
    These vinyls I bought as a teenager in the early to mid 70's and they still sound as good as the day I bought them!
    Just as well my wife and son are in town for the day!!!!!!!
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Emerson Lake & Palmer afternoon Empty Re: Emerson Lake & Palmer afternoon

Post by sKiZo Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:44 pm

That's so '70s ... twere I you, if I found myself listening for over four hours straight, I'd seek immediate professional ELP!

If you're into rock opera, Kompendium;s Elements and Strangers on a Train's The Key both fit the bill and are quite tasty. Elements is three cd's counting the instrumental version, and The Key is two disks, so that'll keep you busy for a while.

If it's all the keyboard work that gets your heart pumping, how about Handel's Concerti for Organ? I recently scored a nice box set ... in QUAD!

PS ... at least you're just stuck in the last century. I hit the Goodwill up for a 12 disk Readers Digest boxed set of light classical this week - RCA Red Label, monophonic, and really choice condition. Been wandering past the turntable most of the day and cuing vinyl for ripping to FLAC. New meets old. GW wanted $4, but I talked them down to $2 ...

Post by Guest Sun Mar 30, 2014 6:09 pm

I like the fact those guys are/were classically trained and adapted the music into the then rock, moog & synth, pretty cool stuff.
    I'm a moog and synth nut since the early days, also love the old Hammond's.
    That Handel sounds interesting, love big cathedral pipe organs, also like Bach for that reason.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:30 pm

MontanaWay wrote:I've been listening to Emerson Lake & Palmer all afternoon on my ST70, oh my, I'm all gooey inside!......what a sound!  drunken 
    These vinyls I bought as a teenager in the early to mid 70's and they still sound as good as the day I bought them!

Boy, you're stirrin' up memories. ELP's Pictures at an Exhibition was my introduction to classical music, though I'd been forced to play all the basics in piano lessons as a pup I thought I hated the stuff, but we rocked out to ELP, especially Pictures and Nutrocker, they called it. Was cruising the Record Hut in Salem, Oregon, and by chance watch through the classical section, and there was Pictures at an Exhibition by some guy named Mussorgsky, orchestrated by some frog named Ravel and performed by the Vienna Philharmonic by some conductor named Von Karajan on a label I'd never heard of, DG. Took it home, spun it once on my system, which then was a Heathkit AR-15 and a pair of Mac ML-1C speaks, and never looked back.
    Rick Wakeman from Yes was another guy who could bang out the classics and send you back to the originals. The Paramount Theatre in Seattle ran six floors beneath the street, which was where the organ sat on an hydraulic riser. Yes, during their break, disappeared from the stage and Rick came rising out of nowhere with the organ and pounded out Bach's Tocatta & Fugue, stage all dark, a single light on him. Brought the house down.
    Them were the days. Maybe that's what I'm trying to recreate with tubes. Got Horowitz pegging the meters as we speak.

Post by Guest Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:37 pm

I have all EL&P's vinyls, I do treasure them!
    You mention Herbert Von Karajan, he is my 'hero', for one of the better words, when it comes to classical orchestral director. A genius he was, I love his rendition of Beethoven's 9th, coral, Berliner Philharmonic Orchestra, it is just wonderful to listen to, especially on the ST70, matter of fact, I have a 1964 copy, Deutsche Grammophon edition, use to belong to my parents.

Post by Guest Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:41 pm

deepee99 wrote:
    MontanaWay wrote:I've been listening to Emerson Lake & Palmer all afternoon on my ST70, oh my, I'm all gooey inside!......what a sound!  drunken 

Boy, you're stirrin' up memories. ELP's Pictures at an Exhibition was my introduction to classical music, though I'd been forced to play all the basics in piano lessons as a pup I thought I hated the stuff, but we rocked out to ELP, especially Pictures and Nutrocker, they called it. Was cruising the Record Hut in Salem, Oregon, and by chance watch through the classical section, and there was Pictures at an Exhibition by some guy named Mussorgsky, orchestrated by some frog named Ravel and performed by the Vienna Philharmonic by some conductor named Von Karajan on a label I'd never heard of, DG. Took it home, spun it once on my system, which then was a Heathkit AR-15 and a pair of Mac ML-1C speaks, and never looked back.
    Rick Wakeman from Yes was another guy who could bang out the classics and send you back to the originals. The Paramount Theatre in Seattle ran six floors beneath the street, which was where the organ sat on an hydraulic riser. Yes, during their break, disappeared from the stage and Rick came rising out of nowhere with the organ and pounded out Bach's Tocatta & Fugue, stage all dark, a single light on him. Brought the house down.
    Them were the days. Maybe that's what I'm trying to recreate with tubes. Got Horowitz pegging the meters as we speak.

hey, I just noticed...we're practically neighbors!.......well kinda...sorta....just over the border on 90.....
    deepee99
    deepee99

Emerson Lake & Palmer afternoon Empty Salud and the Great Gate of Kiev, kinda timely

Post by deepee99 Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:57 pm

Post by Guest Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:59 pm

deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:00 pm

MontanaWay wrote:
    deepee99 wrote:

hey, I just noticed...we're practically neighbors!.......well kinda...sorta....just over the border on 90.....

Yeah. If I turned my M-125s up a bit and goosed the Vandersteens, I'd've shared that with ya "over the air."

Post by Guest Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:04 pm

my wife be passing you in a couple of weeks, she's heading to Spokane to pick up a bunch of bee's for our hives.....I'll tell her to keep her ears open for some awesome tube powered music!!
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:07 pm

MontanaWay wrote:my wife be passing you in a couple of weeks, she's heading to Spokane to pick up a bunch of bee's for our hives.....I'll tell her to keep her ears open for some awesome tube powered music!!
    PM me here and I'll give coordinates. I'm just off I-90, Wallace, 2nd exit coming from your direction. I may be of assistance in assisting wifely cooperation with toob obsessions. And my lovely wife will back me up on this.

Post by Guest Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:14 pm

deepee99 wrote:
    MontanaWay wrote:my wife be passing you in a couple of weeks, she's heading to Spokane to pick up a bunch of bee's for our hives.....I'll tell her to keep her ears open for some awesome tube powered music!!
    PM me here and I'll give coordinates. I'm just off I-90, Wallace, 2nd exit coming from your direction. I may be of assistance in assisting wifely cooperation with toob obsessions. And my lovely wife will back me up on this.

pm sent
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:26 am

Remember the flying piano at California Jam?

I WAS THERE!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSm5IQFaTZA&list=RDuSm5IQFaTZA

I still remember the Great Yellow Wall too ... massive shortage of porta johns ...  rabbit

PS ... this is me ... I'm the one wearing tie dye and looking stoned ...

Emerson Lake & Palmer afternoon Cal-jam21
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:44 am

I remember you there! I was standing next to the mixer guy, showing him how it's done.
    audiobill

Post by audiobill Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:52 am

Funny, I listened to ELP just yesterday!
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:37 pm

I don't remember what song it was, but I used to listen to ELP and tried to shred various speakers with the super low bass.
    I worked in a hi-fi shop selling JBL speakers which had lifetime warranties and no fault, never got one to blow out.
    Tried real hard when the Carver 700 amp came out!! Pegging the meters constantly!
    Check out the drum solo on this performance! He must have been on speed!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UeQsZOQqO6I&list=RDuSm5IQFaTZA

Post by Guest Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:01 pm

tubes4hifi wrote:I don't remember what song it was, but I used to listen to ELP and tried to shred various speakers with the super low bass.
    I worked in a hi-fi shop selling JBL speakers which had lifetime warranties and no fault, never got one to blow out.
    Tried real hard when the Carver 700 amp came out!!   Pegging the meters constantly!  
    Check out the drum solo on this performance!   He must have been on speed!

I want to have whatever he's having!!!
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:48 pm

tubes4hifi wrote:I don't remember what song it was, but I used to listen to ELP and tried to shred various speakers with the super low bass.
    Tried real hard when the Carver 700 amp came out!!   Pegging the meters constantly!  

Lucky Man ... has that bass slide to hell that will work any system ... one of the better pieces of Moog work ever.

A few other of my favorite "speaker busters" ...

Rush - Tom Sawyer
    Manneheim Steamroller - Chocolate
    Porcupine Tree - Russia on Ice
    Wagner - Die Valkerie
    Dick Hymen - Minotaur
    MFSL - The Power and the Majesty
    Lionel Rogg - Handel's Organ Concerti

deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:39 pm

sKiZo wrote:

Lucky Man ... has that bass slide to hell that will work any system ... one of the better pieces of Moog work ever.

A few other of my favorite "speaker busters" ...

Rush - Tom Sawyer
    Manneheim Steamroller - Chocolate
    Porcupine Tree - Russia on Ice
    Wagner - Die Valkerie
    Dick Hymen - Minotaur
    MFSL - The Power and the Majesty
    Lionel Rogg - Handel's Organ Concerti

Unsquare Dance (Brubeck Time Further Out,) B side, 3rd cut, will have you shimming up your floor joists.

Post by Guest Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:47 pm

well.....looks like I'll be listening to new music a lot in the coming days!!!
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:08 pm

MontanaWay wrote:well.....looks like I'll be listening to new music a lot in the coming days!!!
    Hmm now, ain't that the point?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:23 am