The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Chroming or nickle plating parts and the cost....

Pooch

Chroming or nickle plating parts and the cost.... Empty Chroming or nickle plating parts and the cost....

Post by Pooch Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:47 pm

On a whim I called a plating outfit in the greater Seattle area, to check their prices. What I found out was the minimum was $200 for a "batch". I don't know how big a batch is, but I'm betting it's a lot of transformer bells. Probably quite a few chassis, too. A little too pricey for a couple of amps, for my budget. Anybody have any experiences on this?
    Gord
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Chroming or nickle plating parts and the cost.... Empty Re: Chroming or nickle plating parts and the cost....

Post by Bob Latino Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:56 am

Pooch wrote:On a whim I called a plating outfit in the greater Seattle area, to check their prices. What I found out was the minimum was $200 for a "batch". I don't know how big a batch is, but I'm betting it's a lot of transformer bells. Probably quite a few chassis, too. A little too pricey for a couple of amps, for my budget. Anybody have any experiences on this?
    Gord

Hi Gord,

In general metal shops don't want to do small jobs and have minimum numbers of pieces per order. It just isn't worth their while on the setup time needed for a few pieces. On a replated chassis you also have to consider the fact that unless you have it silk screened with the original Dynaco markings, it won't look like an original Dynaco amp after you are done.

Bob

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:49 am