The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

bose 901 /mac pre/vta st 120

scottlowe

bose 901 /mac pre/vta st 120 Empty bose 901 /mac pre/vta st 120

Post by scottlowe Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:36 pm

would it be advisable to put the 901 EQ between the pre amp and amp instead of the tape loop ? Also could i just put the eq between the source and the st 120 without the pre amp? I have that option on my st 120 .Thanks, Scott
    ArlanB
    ArlanB

bose 901 /mac pre/vta st 120 Empty Re: bose 901 /mac pre/vta st 120

Post by ArlanB Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:54 pm

The signal path for the 901's goes from the unprocessed signal from the tape out on your preamp to the Bose EQ, it is then processed by the EQ to make the signal acceptable for the Bose 901's, and then reintroduced to the preamp for processing by your preamp, and finally on to the amp.  If you try to go directly from the amp out of the preamp after it is processed by your preamp to the Bose EQ, it will see the processed signal and make changes and then send it on to the amp probably putting out less than optimum audio signals to your amp.  Also the circuits in the Bose EQ are most likely designed to handle a steady low level signal, not a variable strength signal as used for the amp, and it could be damaged by the higher than normal output strength used for the signal to your amp.  To qualify these statements I have a set of Series V 901's that I do not use, I have found that less signal processing is more.
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:37 pm

I would tend to disagree with Arlan and agree with Scott, the 901 EQ could be put either directly between source and amp, or between preamp out and amp input.
    It would be possible though that if using the preamp out, if the gain of the preamp is set at a high level it may be too high for the input of the Bose EQ,
    you would need to check the spec to see what the maximum input level can be. Normal line level is 500-1000mv, which is about what the preamp out would be with the volume control at mid-point, but it would be 4X that much at maximum volume setting.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:44 pm