The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

A-25 Tweeters

hvlee

A-25 Tweeters Empty A-25 Tweeters

Post by hvlee Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:03 pm

I need a tweeter for one of my A-25's. The replacement I bought a while back in a high-end store near Atlanta isn't satisfactory. It doesn't equal the original in high frequency response.

Madisound recommends the SEAS Prestige 27TDFC (H1189) as a replacement. Does anyone know if this is as good or better than the original or am I better off to have the original rebuilt?

I'm not looking to "improve" the sound, I just want one to be as good as the other. These speakers have been in daily use for thirty-nine years with a variety of gear and I'm happy with the stock sound.

Harry
    Maryville, Tennessee
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

A-25 Tweeters Empty Re: A-25 Tweeters

Post by Bob Latino Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:45 pm

hvlee wrote:I need a tweeter for one of my A-25's. The replacement I bought a while back in a high-end store near Atlanta isn't satisfactory. It doesn't equal the original in high frequency response.

Madisound recommends the SEAS Prestige 27TDFC (H1189) as a replacement. Does anyone know if this is as good or better than the original or am I better off to have the original rebuilt?

I'm not looking to "improve" the sound, I just want one to be as good as the other. These speakers have been in daily use for thirty-nine years with a variety of gear and I'm happy with the stock sound.

Harry
    Maryville, Tennessee

Hi Harry,

There is a pair of used Dynaco A-25 tweeters on Ebay for sale right now - $39 for a pair. Check the link below ...

A-25 tweeters on Ebay

Bob
    hvlee

A-25 Tweeters Empty Missed them, but...

Post by hvlee Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:07 am

I didn't see your post 'til this morning and they're already gone -but $25 shipping?

I'm leery of used ones anyway. I've got used ones.

Anyway, the question remains: how 'bout those 27TDFC's?

Regards,

Harry
    Maryville, Tennessee
    Mark Korda

A-25 Tweeters Empty Dynaco A-25 tweeter

Post by Mark Korda Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:47 pm

Hi Harry,Mark Korda here,Portland,Me.I have a pair of A-25's.Infact I have owned quite a few pairs of the Dynaco classic speakers.There was an article in Speaker Builder that I have of a guy modifying A-25's.They sound great!But,the original tweeter started losing high frequency response at about 15.000 hertz.After that the frequency response curve on a graph started going south.A pair I gave to a freind,a musician,notices this.He house paints with me and puts in ear plugs cause of high frequency sounds of power tools.Playing in the band for all those years did it he said.The article in Speaker Builder said the perfect tweeter replacement was the DynaAudio A-28 tweeter.It fitted right in the hole,but DynaAudio won't sell drivers anymore unless your a dealer I suppose.I built speakers with that tweeter.It was the one to get because the output was flat to 1500 hz.Most tweeters don't go that low.The next one was the Morel MDT-20,which I have 2 of which are going into my A-25's,even though my tweeters are working fine.That tweeter went low in the frequency,I think 1300,I'll look that up.I checked out the Madisound tweeter you mentioned and it is flat to 1500 while no other Seas tweeters go that low.Thats the one!I'm about 2 days away from taking my tweeters out and putting in the Morel's,I forgot to tell you,the Morels are discontinued.Keep in touch with me and I'll get you one of the originals for cheap.I'm 53 now and I saw your age.As we get older were supposed to lose some high frequency hearing,but with those 2 new Madisound Seas tweeters your A-25's will sing better than ever.The A-25XL was the next evolution of the A-25 with a better tweeter fixing the problem I just told you.Write me back,I'd really like to talk to you...Mark Korda(mark.korda@myfairpoint.net)207-773-7862
    hvlee

A-25 Tweeters Empty Thanks for the info

Post by hvlee Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:57 am

Mark,

I'd been seeing recommendations for the Morels for some time but, of course, they were discontinued. This morning, when I was making my decision (without first checking here), I found a post where someone said that if you ran your A-25's on the brightest setting, you wouldn't like the Morels. Well, I run mine on normal (because I'm stubborn), but I'm certainly not looking for less treble. Normal is plenty good for the stock tweeter.

The replacement I have just doesn't have the treble of my remaining stock unit. It almost seems to not be there, though it is working. I remember from when the original went bad that there's a big difference between not bright enough and no tweeter at all.

I decided to go for the SEAS recommended replacements from Madisound. In their recommendations, they have a link for the 27TFFC, but it goes to the 27TDFC. The specs are very similar and I just went with it.

I'm very happy to have your endorsement of the SEAS replacements since I was pretty much going on specs and reputation.

Surely I have high frequency loss, but I haven't been turning up the treble recently, I just noticed the lack of treble in the one speaker. I've had this one in there for seven or eight years without noticing. Maybe age is the reason I notice it now. I certainly have some general loss of hearing since the Army didn't use earplugs when I was in basic. I say "Huh?" (or "Ma'am" a lot to my wife.

My son will suffer one day from those years of playing heavy metal guitar without earplugs in front of a pair of Marshalls.

I bought these A-25's new in 1970 and with having the woofers rebuild a couple of years ago and the new tweeters, they'll be like George Washington's axe: just a new head or handle every once in a while.
    Regards,

Harry
    Maryville, Tennessee

Sponsored content

A-25 Tweeters Empty Re: A-25 Tweeters

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:51 am