The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+2
TN Allen
Kentley
6 posters

The Atomic Tube Amplifier

Kentley
    Kentley

The Atomic Tube Amplifier Empty The Atomic Tube Amplifier

Post by Kentley Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:54 pm

TN Allen

The Atomic Tube Amplifier Empty Re: The Atomic Tube Amplifier

Post by TN Allen Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:03 pm

I wonder if this amp resulted in some way from the 1953 study?

The Atomic Tube Amplifier 22f783d4a6d3ec1b58fc705e6c2a4b9f

https://dynacotubeaudio.forumotion.com/t2566-1953-us-navy-study-of-tube-amplifiers-declassified

No suits, though it may have an eerie glow.

Last edited by TN Allen on Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:07 pm

TN Allen wrote:I wonder if this amp resulted in some way from the 1953 study?

https://dynacotubeaudio.forumotion.com/t2566-1953-us-navy-study-of-tube-amplifiers-declassified

No suits, though it may have an eerie glow.

That's what I immediately thought myself. Funny how what goes around.....
    I'd be interested in examining those circuits...but only from a safe distance!

Post by Guest Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:33 pm

and for $5K, I WANT it to include some rare Uranium or similar!!! bounce bounce
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:38 pm

MontanaWay wrote:and for $5K, I WANT it to include some rare Uranium or similar!!! bounce bounce

6V6 set comes with plutonium getters. Amaze your Friends.....Annihilate your Enemies!
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:59 pm

MontanaWay wrote:and for $5K, I WANT it to include some rare Uranium or similar!!! bounce bounce

And it's not even a STEREO amp ! This was 1953 .. Stereo on vinyl to the masses didn't come out until 1958 when I was a "youngster".

Bob
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:07 pm

The more I peruse this beast, the weirder it gets. Note the many rotary controls. Does it have tone controls? And the description states "three modules". Does that mean it can run a center channel for a Home Theater-like, thrilling atomic experience? - BETTER THAN BEING THERE!!!
    And how about those interconnects? Does Radio Shack sell plugs for those?

And if it is, in fact, a monoblock, can I buy two for my living room? Or FOUR so I can bi-amp my B&W 800s?

Also note: FREE SHIPPING! {by mule train only. Weight when crated 826 lbs.}
    TN Allen

Post by TN Allen Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:43 pm

The amp on sale is only for the camera mount, you need to look below to the sellers audio gear for sound.
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:46 pm

TN Allen wrote:The amp on sale is only for the camera mount, you need to look below to the sellers audio gear for sound.

So the next time you feel the overwhelming urge to amplify your camera mount, look no further.
    TN Allen

Post by TN Allen Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:23 pm

Next time?... I put a bid in this time, these aren't offered often. After supper I'll probably write a message to Roy asking about adapting the VTA upgrade board for the amp.
    I intend to watch it and win it.

You probably will all think me crazy, but that amp, given it was built for observing nuclear explosions is just what I need for an observation camera above and outside our sub-soil emergency shelter. I know a nuclear event is unlikely, and bomb shelters aren't dug now, but, who knows? What goes around comes around.
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:39 pm

TN Allen wrote:Next time?... I put a bid in this time, these aren't offered often. After supper I'll probably write a message to Roy asking about adapting the VTA upgrade board for the amp.
    I intend to watch it and win it.

You probably will all think me crazy, but that amp, given it was built for observing nuclear explosions is just what I need for an observation camera above and outside our sub-soil emergency shelter. I know a nuclear event is unlikely, and bomb shelters aren't dug now, but, who knows? What goes around comes around.  

I rarely actually laugh out loud before I abuse the ubiquitous "LOL" coinage, but you have bested me, TN. Let's go all the way to
    "BAG" -- Busting A Gut.
    Let's start a hot bidding war for this gem. Someone on this forum MUST procure this. I will open with a modest bid of $37.49. That's sure to titillate all the Neanderthals in eBay-ville to a frenzy. After all, guns are no longer sufficient to protect us from THEM. Whoever "them" is {are?}.
    Gregg R.
    Gregg R.

The Atomic Tube Amplifier Empty The Atomic Tube Amplifier

Post by Gregg R. Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:48 pm

I just bid $38.00 USD. I NEED one of these!! It will blow away my VTA-70, literally.

Your move, Kentley!!

Gregg R.
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:52 pm

Gregg R. wrote:I just bid $38.00 USD. I NEED one of these!! It will blow away my VTA-70, literally.

Your move, Kentley!!

Gregg R.

If I don't win this auction, I'm gonna drink a QUART of Roundup. Nyah!

Besides, something sinister just occurred to me. Why in Bob's name does one need such a powerful amp merely to RECORD an event like an A-test? I believe this is proof that
                                         THE NUCLEAR PROGRAM WAS FAKED!!!
    Huge banks of Altec-Lansing Voice of the Theater speakers were stacked Woodstock-style behind a giant screen, upon which was projected a magnified conventional explosion, accompanied by the amplified sound of General {President} Dwight D. Eisenhowever FARTING.....
                                              KA-BOOM!!!!
    And the Rest is Cold War History.
    If I should mysteriously disappear tomorrow from this forum, you'll all know why.
    audiobill

Post by audiobill Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:38 am

Isn't that the Grateful Dead's stage setup?
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Thu Apr 02, 2015 10:34 am

audiobill wrote:Isn't that the Grateful Dead's stage setup?

It is my belief, after conducting extensive "research" (a.k.a. taking a hot bath) that this rig was used only once by "The Dead" for the oft-bootlegged "Live at Los Alamos" eighteen-hour marathon set, which consisted solely of one "song" {Dark Star}. This occurred just before Jerry's Kid's converted their gig rig to the famous "Humongous Mac" stack-o-behemoths, and the rest is, famously, 'Dead' and buried. drunken
    TN Allen

Post by TN Allen Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:24 pm

In that April 1 is over, I'd be interested in seeing data on that amp, particularly linearity, and comparing it to the upgraded Dynaco data. I wonder too if any of the development of this type of amp contribute to improvements in audio amps? Seems likely it may have gone both ways.

I'm also interested in knowing if it was designed as part of a motion control device that would now be built using stepper motors and digital/binary technology, rather than analog signals.
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:55 pm

TN Allen wrote:In that April 1 is over, I'd be interested in seeing data on that amp, particularly linearity, and comparing it to the upgraded Dynaco data. I wonder too if any of the development of this type of amp contribute to improvements in audio amps? Seems likely it may have gone both ways.

I'm also interested in knowing if it was designed as part of a motion control device that would now be built using stepper motors and digital/binary technology, rather than analog signals.  

It seems unlikely that this was designed for any audio purpose. Your conjecture (motion control....) is probably accurate, given the labels on the interfaces. Here is a link to the seller's eBay Store. Perhaps anyone interested in more info could pop off an email to the proprietor (??).

http://stores.ebay.com/APEXSURPLUS/Other-/_i.html?_fsub=1&_sid=169320105&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322

A phone number is given as well, I see. Note the many interesting items this seller offers!
    corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:05 pm

Good luck finding audiophile approved connectors.
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:30 pm

corndog71 wrote:Good luck finding audiophile approved connectors.

Radio Shuck aisle 3 under the little black plastic doohickey things that go "MMIEEH" and flash greenish. I know I saw 'em there....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:21 am