The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+2
Bugs
JJB
6 posters

Output Tubes - a choice

JJB

Output Tubes - a choice Empty Output Tubes - a choice

Post by JJB Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:08 pm

Does anyone have advice on which brand of output tubes are better... Sovtek EL-34G+ or JJ EL-34L?
    Bugs

Output Tubes - a choice Empty Re: Output Tubes - a choice

Post by Bugs Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:31 pm

JJB wrote:Does anyone have advice on which brand of output tubes are better... Sovtek EL-34G+ or JJ EL-34L?

I do not know about the Sovteks, but I have used JJs, Tung Sol EL 34B, and Genalex KT66. Of the three I like the Tung Sol and Genalex the best. The Tung Sols are typically rounded off on the highs and lows like an EL34 and have a great mid range, the Genalex are more linear and provide a very nice sound.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:20 pm

One of the best "value" EL34 tubes out there are the Chinese Shuguang made tubes. These tubes may be sold under the Shuguang name or sold under the "Ruby" or "Valve Art" brand names. It is the SAME tube whether either of the three brand names is stamped on the outside. These tubes are very well made and are a good value at $50 - $60 for a quad. Read some reviews below on the Shuguang made EL34 tubes ....

Shuguang EL34B thread on the Vintage Amps Forum

The Tubestore EL34 reviews

On the other side of the coin the Genelex Gold Lion KT66's are probably (IMHO) the best sounding tube that you can use in an ST-70 but they ARE expensive at $140 to $150 a quad. If you have an older original ST-70 that has not been rebuilt it probably doesn't make sense to use the Genalex tubes.

Bob
    JJB

Post by JJB Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:32 pm

I appreciate all the advice. I happen to have a set of Sovteks and JJs and wondered which to use. thanks for all the info and the links... JJB
    Bugs

Post by Bugs Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:30 am

JJB wrote:I appreciate all the advice. I happen to have a set of Sovteks and JJs and wondered which to use. thanks for all the info and the links... JJB

If you already have them, try both pairs and see which you like the best. That's part of what makes tube amps interesting, rolling tubes to see what you like the best.
    Listens2tubes
    Listens2tubes

Post by Listens2tubes Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:49 pm

I have used the Winged =C= EL34 and Genalex KT77 and like them equally. Though, the 77's hold bias better. Cool
    Sled108
    Sled108

Post by Sled108 Thu Feb 04, 2010 12:39 am

The JJ KT77's Sound Fine for the Price..$70-$80 a Quad..
    Jhoman
    Jhoman

Post by Jhoman Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:12 am

I really like my Ruby KT88s and a Ruby rectifier, these sound sweet coupled with my Mullard 4024s in my pre.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:18 am