The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

listening room improvement site

baddog1946
    baddog1946

listening room improvement site  Empty listening room improvement site

Post by baddog1946 Fri May 08, 2015 11:37 am

I found this site recently also. I ordered and received the plans for a diffuser I am building it now and will report on that later. Worth a look.

http://www.acousticfields.com/
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

listening room improvement site  Empty Re: listening room improvement site

Post by sKiZo Fri May 08, 2015 3:01 pm

Long as we're on the subject ... some really nice stuff here, including theory behind room setup and building of diffusers ...

http://arqen.com/downloads/acoustics/diffusers/?awt_l=FSUBI&awt_m=3.QmXFzfF7nfzB9

Some hard core stuff, but mostly fairly easy to mod for your room and build with the proper tools.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Fri May 08, 2015 9:55 pm

You guys must be bachelors. I can't even talk my wife into a throw-rug to cover up her precious hardwood floors...
    baddog1946
    baddog1946

Post by baddog1946 Sat May 09, 2015 10:38 am

Nope. I have been married for 47 years. But I do have a tolerant wife. We are finishing a new home and she blessed me with permission to add a sound room to the plans and that's where I am working on making a quality listening environment.
    The diffusers will be wall units but I like the considerations Skizo has paid to the ceiling as my room has a 8" solid concrete ceiling (my wife insisted). Too bad concrete is a such a highly reflective surface so I am still thinking about the ceiling reflections. The floor and walls are also solid concrete ( I am in a basement situation) so  I may have to do all the surfaces eventually. The walls should be easier with the diffusers.
    The good news is I was able to follow a good length, depth and width  formula for the room and I have a nice big space behind the speaker locations through a portal calculated to dampen things out and also sized to the room volume and dimensions. I got great hopes for this puppy to perform up to the design spec.We will see soon.
    BTW
    One of the best diffusers is bookshelves filled with books. There are a lot of cheap second hand books around these days and many public libraries are a good source. Fairly cheap too and might even be a good source of something to read while listening.
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Sat May 09, 2015 11:15 am

I concur heartily with baddog re: bookshelves crammed with {cheap} books as diffusers. Part of the effect is gained from utilising various shapes and sizes of materials. Though it seems counterintuitive, some of the same diffusion can be effected by shelves full of LPs and CDs. Perfectly lined-up material is less effective than somewhat haphazard stacking, which gives one a wonderfully daffy excuse for not keeping everything in your huge collection in fantastic orderly condition. Why is there a stack of unsolicited Harper's Bazaar catalogues piled carelessly between your speakers? Why, it's purely for sound, dear. Why don't you peruse the fashion scene from 1990 while I crank up the Everly Brothers, dear? Har Har.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Sat May 09, 2015 6:27 pm

Got over 1000 books in the collection here, so plenty of opportunities for diffusing ...

I slapped these together last fall for the bedroom. Hard part really was the drawers.

listening room improvement site  Bookcase-diffusers

Simple knee walls floor to ceiling from 2x4 and plaster board, then just add shelves as needed. All el crapo #2 pine, so inexpensive too. There's another set just like them on the others side of a window seat ...

Oh. Great insulation on an outside wall as well ... ;-}

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:57 pm