The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+3
deepee99
Bob Latino
audiobill
7 posters

Fascinating video

audiobill

Fascinating video Empty Fascinating video

Post by audiobill Mon Jun 22, 2015 10:32 am

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Fascinating video Empty Re: Fascinating video

Post by Bob Latino Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:17 pm

Thanks Bill ....  An interesting video ..

Bob
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:45 pm

Bob L,
    You like his video you ought to hear some of Bill's audio cuts.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:02 pm

... as you can see, the stylus doesn't move up and down or side to side in the record groove. Since this is a stereo record, it actually has two channels of audio information encoded in one groove, so diagonal movement, bottom left to top right is one channel, and bottom right to top left is the other channel. So, depending on how the magnets move based on the vibrations picked up by that needle tip, you can get different signals sent to each channel.

That's maybe the best description of what actually happens in the groove I've heard to date. Common interpretation is that each groove wall contains one channel's data, and vertical movement contains the difference information. Close, but no ceegar ...

Please post up your results if anyone wants to recreate the experiment on their own electron microscope. ;-}
    audiobill

Post by audiobill Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:32 pm

David, you're too kind!
    Gregg R.
    Gregg R.

Post by Gregg R. Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:54 pm

I was disappointed that Wendy/Walter Carlos' groundbreaking LP (ca 1968).of Switched-on-Bach, was destroyed in making the video. For many of us, this was our initial introduction to Bach and Baroque music. The music was played with verve and vigor, unlike the museum-like quality that plagued much classical music at the time. Of course, now Historically Informed Performing Practice, aka HIPP, is the norm. Dig in and play it fast, like John Eliot Gardiner.

Violinist Rachel Podger is my favorite in this repertoire.

Fascinating video, nonetheless. Thanks, Bill.
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:16 am

What is HIPP? {I couldn't resist}.
    There is much good in the HIPPster movement, and some bad. The fact remains plain that well-written music survives for a reason, and that it can, and should, be interpreted in a vast variety of fashions.
    Recently I've been entranced by Nigel North's "Bach on the Lute" set, which comprises the solo violin and cello pieces. Fine recording quality and fine re-imaginings. There's more in Heaven and Earth, Horatio.....
    What else, Mr. Gregg?
    Gregg R.
    Gregg R.

Post by Gregg R. Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:36 am

You've twisted my arm, Kentley!!

I've just ordered the 4 CD set from Rarewaves in the UK. They usually have the best prices and quick shipping. Terrific reviews!

Gregg R.

I'm glad you are enjoying your SP-14, but the "experts" tell us that this whole tube/vinyl fascination is just a retro fad.
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:43 am

Gregg R. wrote:You've twisted my arm, Kentley!!

I've just ordered the 4 CD set from Rarewaves in the UK. They usually have the best prices and quick shipping. Terrific reviews!

Gregg R.

You're a mood gan, Barley Clown. If you do not love it, I'll refund your Mony Mony. From the haat, Baaston-style.
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:54 am

Gregg R. wrote:You've twisted my arm, Kentley!!

Gregg R.

I'm glad you are enjoying your SP-14, but the "experts" tell us that this whole tube/vinyl fascination is just a retro fad.

And I am simply a fig in the whole fruity uni-verse. Wish I still had my ancient vinyl, which succumbed long ago to flood waters and fungi. RIP, and learn. We subsist on digital biscuits, and the occasional sip of water afforded us by our captors, made of sand, who shall yet wash into the sea. Even-tually. But I rant....
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Wed Jun 24, 2015 5:30 pm

reminds me very much of the work I used to do back in the early to mid 80's, first with laser video disks and then with CD manufacturing.
    We used to take photos like that. CDs have a track pitch of 1.6u (a micron is 1 millionth of a meter (39.4").
    The average width of a human hair is 100u so it would cover the width of 60 tracks. DVDs have a track pitch of 0.75u (4x the data density of a CD).
    Blu-Ray discs have a track pitch of 0.32u and 5X the data density of a DVD, 20x the data density of a CD.
    For LP analogue comparison, a modern LP has 240 grooves per inch which is 106u, or 66X as wide as a CD track and 331x as wide as a Blu-Ray track!!

Post by Guest Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:40 am

the wonders of miniaturization!....very interesting video!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:13 am