The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

tube options st 120

rfbro
    rfbro

tube options st 120 Empty tube options st 120

Post by rfbro Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:03 am

woundering other then kt 88 can you use any other tubes be dropped in the st 120 without making any changes
    skriefal
    skriefal

tube options st 120 Empty Re: tube options st 120

Post by skriefal Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:22 am

You can also use 6550, KT-90, or KT-120 power tubes. You'll need to re-bias, of course, but no other changes are needed.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:57 am

Just be aware that you will NOT see the full rated power of a KT120. That would take some serious tweaks in the circuitry. You should see a good 10% increase over a KT88 though.

I find them to be an exceptional tube in these amps, with full bass and excellent response throughout the range. Also a great value. I paid more for a set of TAD KT88's. I've heard nothing but rave reviews from those who've tried them. Seems to me Mr Bob is still running a set in his amp?

I expect mine to last forever as they're not being pushed all that hard. I do bias mine at 60mV - the iron is strong enough to handle that, and they do develop more punch at that level.

One caution - the pins run slightly larger than most KT88's, so you'll want to retention the sockets any time you swap tubes. Common sense and easy enough to do with ANY tube swap, so not a bad habit to pick up if you're a roller like me.

PS ... I wouldn't try the higher bias settings using a 5AR4 rectifier. Those are working hard enough as is in an ST120. A Weber WZ68 is highly recommended - I myself use a Mullard GZ37, but those are getting pricey and can be a bit hard to find.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:45 pm