The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+3
deepee99
Bob Latino
j beede
7 posters

Which KT-88 for my MkIII?

j beede
    j beede

Which KT-88 for my MkIII? Empty Which KT-88 for my MkIII?

Post by j beede Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:11 am

My "flashing" 6550 still flashes when I move it to another socket. I guess it's time for a fresh matched quad of KT-88 for my MkIIIs. Which KT-88 do you like?
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Which KT-88 for my MkIII? Empty Re: Which KT-88 for my MkIII?

Post by Bob Latino Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:36 am

j beede wrote:My "flashing" 6550 still flashes when I move it to another socket. I guess it's time for a fresh matched quad of KT-88 for my MkIIIs. Which KT-88 do you like?

For a high value KT88 that has proven to me to be reliable and good sounding, the Sovtek KT88 works well. If your wallet can handle the extra $$, the Genalex Gold Lion KT88 is probably the top KT88 out there now.

Bob
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:56 pm

Bob, do you ever take a day off from wet-nursing us? Smile
    I think the Genalex Gold Lions are the way to go, too. They are sweet and sturdy tubes.
    I would certainly get them from Jim McShane. He takes great care in quality control and matching them up.
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:11 am

I'll put in another vote for the GL KT 88's. I've had the Sov Tek's, then the GL KT66's, which were a nice improvement, and then the GL KT 88's, for another even bigger improvement over those.

If there were other advantages to the KT66s, I'm to be faulted for not going back and giving them a close listen. Just left 'em in the closet after getting those GL KT88's.
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:36 pm

I just started using the Gold Lion KT-88 in my ST-120 yesterday. Even with only 14 or so hours on them (not counting the several hours Mr. McShane undoubtedly punished them for me) they are remarkable-sounding tubes. The top octave -- the "sizzle and breath" octave -- is unbelievably alive. So much so that one might find a switch to a 12BH7 in the center driver position in order (should you own an ST-120, that is).
    Beyond that, there is a quickness to the response which might remind you of a very good SS amp - but without the pitfalls we are familiar with, like - well, you know by now.
    Add to this the nice solid build and you have a real winner.
    I started four months ago with Bob's Sovteks. They are certainly fine tubes. But if you want to go all the way, get yerself some a these here Genalexes. You won't regret it.

Last edited by Kentley on Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:15 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : clarity.)

Post by Guest Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:38 pm

yes, I totally go for the Genalex Gold Lion KT88. I use them in the SRPP 50W stereo amp I build, and from Jim, they are already somewhat run it. Great clear sound right across the audio spectrum!
    Worth every extra $!!
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:34 pm

Can the stock iron handle a KT120?

Jim McShane

Post by Jim McShane Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:53 pm

Kentley wrote:I just started using the Gold Lion KT-88 in my ST-120 yesterday. Even with only 14 or so hours on them (not counting the several hours Mr. McShane undoubtedly punished them for me) they are remarkable-sounding tubes. The top octave -- the "sizzle and breath" octave -- is unbelievably alive. So much so that one might find a switch to a 12BH7 in the center driver position in order (should you own an ST-120, that is).
    Beyond that, there is a quickness to the response which might remind you of a very good SS amp - but without the pitfalls we are familiar with, like - well, you know by now.
    Add to this the nice solid build and you have a real winner.
    I started four months ago with Bob's Sovteks. They are certainly fine tubes. But if you want to go all the way, get yerself some a these here Genalexes. You won't regret it.

Hi Kent,

The tubes were run a minimum of 24 hours, and by the time I'm done with all the testing/matching etc. it's usually about 26 hours. The matching is done with 465 volts on the plate and screen with -50 volts on the grid. The number in black marker is the cathode current at that set of voltages. So the tubes do get a decent run in before you get them. I'm really glad to hear you are enjoying them!
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:01 pm

Thanks for the info, Jim. Good to know exactly what goes on in your secret underground lab.
    I must add that the extreme low end seems to have solidified now. That means its time to open that dance club in my living room {NOT!}.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:18 am