The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+6
sKiZo
GP49
deepee99
Tube Nube
Bob Latino
peterh
10 posters

Blowing my Fuses!

Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Blowing my Fuses! - Page 3 Empty Re: Blowing my Fuses!

Post by Tube Nube Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:31 pm

Yikes! I didn't realize it could actually be dangerous.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:49 pm

Tube Nube wrote:Yikes! I didn't realize it could actually be dangerous.
    It's rather akin to leaving your cook-stove on unattended for weeks at a time. Nothing good can come of it. You won't hear a tube red-plate unless you've got music going through it.
    Just counting on my fingers, if the amps were on for 12 hours/day for 4 years, that's over 17,000 hours. Given that the life expectancy (correct me if I'm wrong, Dr. McShane) for new-issue Russian tubes is probably 4,000 hours, I'd say you got your money's worth out of those KT-88s.
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:20 pm

Well, it looked like the problem was solved with the discovery of a bad power tube, but apparently it's back to its fuse-blowing tricks again.

The tech guy looking at the amp has my schematic, but asks if there is a "full" schematic available, or, in particular, a schematic of the pentode/triode switching portion of the circuit.

A google search gets me lots of copies of the power supply / left channel schematic, but I can't see the pentode/triode switch (could be my schematyxlexia).

So thought I'd pass the request along.

Next on the list, I think, testing the caps and the trannys. But first, a trip to the fuse store. My friend can't purchase proper fuses in his small town just South of Calgary, so I'm off on a little road trip.

What was it George Harrison said? A long and winding road?
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:02 am

Ok, Im sure all are sick of me flogging this thread to death, but I wanted to post up a substantial update. Roy gave me the names of a few good techs who could and would be able to fix my amp. I knew them all by name, and chose the only Canadian, Don Sachs in Nelson BC, only to avoid cross border hassles.

So while being repaired, I took advantage of the opportunity to have the new octal driver board installed. Im addition, Don thought I might be interested to consider a few othe component swaps, like silver oil caps, etc. And, of course, he was right.

So I just wanted to post a shout out to Don for his great service. He did the work fast and fair. Communication was excellent! We also had a good couple of chats sbout thoughts about future upgrade diections--something that's also been on my mind for a few months.

This has been so helpful that I can almost say Im glad my amp broke. It forced the opportunity to learn a few things Im glad to know.

And now I have my amp back home in its proper place and sounding great!
    audiobill

Post by audiobill Fri Oct 02, 2015 7:55 am

What did the problem turn out to be?
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:00 am

Hi Bill,

Don was pretty sure it was a bad connection on the driver board, and suspected something like one of the pot resistors, but he didn't isolate it. That's because I decided to take advantage of the opportunity to upgrade the amp while fixing it. So this included installing the new octal board, as well as some other components, like silver oil Mundorfs in place of the PIO's and a few other things like that.

We agreed it was most efficient to do the upgrades, run the amp, and if the problem isn't fixed, then pin it down for the fix. Fortunately, from a monetary perspective, but unfortunately for our enquiring minds, the cause remains uncertain.

It was interesting, though, to hear from Don that he would have been extremely surprised had it been a transformer issue, and he seemed almost as confident that it wasn't likely to be a cap.

Now that I have the amp back, I'm sure enjoying it once again, and I'm eager to get the new speakers finished so I can REALLY hear the thing.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:22 pm

Noob, wonderful to hear.
    My problem (similar to yours) was a poor or non-existent solder connection on one of the three legs of a bias pot on the PCB. Those are almost impossible to spot without an electron microscope.
    At any rate, glad yer up and running!
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:42 pm

I read some good soldering advice in the instructions for my Transcendent pre-amp, which I only built after my power amp -- that was to solder each connections from both sides of the circuit board!

Perhaps had I gone back . . . then again, if it was a pot, I likely wouldn't have left enough room to get at it from both sides.

Anyway, the amp has been professionally overhauled, updated and tested by one of our gurus who has a real passion for this stuff. I think he can bank on getting more jobs from me!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 13, 2024 5:33 am