The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+3
corndog71
peterh
donkim
7 posters

VTA conversion went fine till I turned it on, low to mid volume sounds great, past mid volume starts to distort and crackle

donkim

VTA conversion went fine till I turned it on, low to mid volume sounds great, past mid volume starts to distort and crackle Empty VTA conversion went fine till I turned it on, low to mid volume sounds great, past mid volume starts to distort and crackle

Post by donkim Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:39 am

Bought a used ST 70 and began upgrading to VTA board. Replace all sockets, quad cap, and replaced power xfmr. Using new el34s and gz34 rectifier. Biasing the amp went fine. Turned it on and played great on low volume, as I increased the volume past half way it starts to distorting. Any ideas?
    peterh
    peterh

VTA conversion went fine till I turned it on, low to mid volume sounds great, past mid volume starts to distort and crackle Empty Re: VTA conversion went fine till I turned it on, low to mid volume sounds great, past mid volume starts to distort and crackle

Post by peterh Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:16 am

What's the typical voltages ( as per the st-70 manual ) on the el34 and gz34 ?
    corndog71
    corndog71

VTA conversion went fine till I turned it on, low to mid volume sounds great, past mid volume starts to distort and crackle Empty Re: VTA conversion went fine till I turned it on, low to mid volume sounds great, past mid volume starts to distort and crackle

Post by corndog71 Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:11 am

What are you using as a source, preamp?
    arledgsc
    arledgsc

Post by arledgsc Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:56 am

Did you replace the 15.6 ohm resistor with individual 10 ohm cathode resistors at the power tubes?

Are you using low-gain tubes like 12AU7s instead of 12AX7s?
    donkim

Post by donkim Fri Jan 22, 2016 12:14 pm

Voltages for the gz are pin 2 438v, pin 8 378v, pin 4 370v and pin 6 374v. and el34 pin 3 416v, pin 4 417v, pin 5 40vdc, pin 6 40vdc and pin 8 .4 vdc. I am using a tuner with pre outs. Yes the bias resistors with 10 ohm resistors I am using 6sn7s on the low gain.
    corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:45 pm

donkim wrote:Voltages for the gz are pin 2 438v, pin 8 378v, pin 4 370v and pin 6 374v. and el34 pin 3 416v, pin 4 417v, pin 5 40vdc, pin 6 40vdc and pin 8 .4 vdc. I am using a tuner with pre outs.  Yes the bias resistors with 10 ohm resistors I am using 6sn7s on the low gain.

Is the volume on the tuner or the amp?
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:50 pm

donkim wrote:Voltages for the gz are pin 2 438v, pin 8 378v, pin 4 370v and pin 6 374v. and el34 pin 3 416v, pin 4 417v, pin 5 40vdc, pin 6 40vdc and pin 8 .4 vdc. I am using a tuner with pre outs.  Yes the bias resistors with 10 ohm resistors I am using 6sn7s on the low gain.
    These values seems to be on the spot.
    If all el34 has 0.4V on pin8 ( catode ) then your power supply seems ok.

And it both channels that distort ? Then
    Do you have any dc komponent from your pre ? st70 and vta70 has no cap on input, dc here will upset
    the working point of the front tube.

Next i'll check groundings and B+ connections to the vta board.
    donkim

Post by donkim Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:12 pm

volume in on the tuner. Will check the grounding and b+ connection on the vta.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:30 pm

You could just have a dirty volume pot. Have you tried tuner cleaner or DeOxit on it?
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:49 pm

Sounds reminiscent of some issues I had here when I tried adding a meter circuit and floated the ground on one side of each power tube pair. Basically ended up pushing one end and missing the complementary pull, and ended up with half a signal on each channel. OK at lower volumes, but would get all sorts of strange when pushed a bit.

Double check the schematic and instructions, checking off each step.
    donkim

Post by donkim Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:20 pm

thank you will try starting from the beginning.
    arledgsc
    arledgsc

Post by arledgsc Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:16 am

Check the negative feedback connection from the transformer outputs to the low-gain board.
    donkim

Post by donkim Sun Jan 24, 2016 11:59 am

arledgsc you were spot on the feedback connection was a terrible soldering on my part.
    Thanks a million.
    arledgsc
    arledgsc

Post by arledgsc Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:17 pm

Very Happy Sounded like too much gain was the issue. Congrats on your successful conversion!
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Mon Jan 25, 2016 5:08 pm

way to go, arledgsc, thank's for getting the right answer!!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:29 pm