The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Ebay tube amp caveat emptor

DarthBubba

Ebay tube amp caveat emptor Empty Ebay tube amp caveat emptor

Post by DarthBubba Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:45 pm

Not a Dynaco product, to be sure.  You've likely seen these on Ebay; don't think of them as a way to "get started into vacuum tube audio"

The relevant part starts at about one minute & twenty six seconds, but I encourage watching it from the start.

URL in case you have to go that route: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-XX4gCiEvOo

Be careful out there.

-DB
    GP49

Ebay tube amp caveat emptor Empty Re: Ebay tube amp caveat emptor

Post by GP49 Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:10 pm

I'm sorry he didn't show us the puny car stereo ICs that are probably being used in the output stages.
    wildiowa

Post by wildiowa Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:17 pm

This is the exact amp I received as a Christmas gift and referred to in an earlier post. I got the "Monoprice" hybrid tube amp, as it is called. About $140.

I was disappointed as I knew right out of the box it was gonna be weird, but felt for my generous but technically-challenged brother, who bought it. Right out of the box it had a smoked tube, but fortunately I had a pair of old 6BQ5's (EL84) I threw in and got sound. I also ordered two Russian 6N2P (6ax7 equivalents) from The Tube Store and I think that further improved the sound as I originally heard it with the Chinese tubes in. Or was I just expecting the improvement??

Bottom line I replaced all the tubes and it puts out sound. It is strange and probably worthless but it was a gift so I'm trying to find a place for it. I pulled tubes while it was operating to see if they were totally bypassed or otherwise bogus and the sound stopped, so they are somewhere in the circuit. I saw the video and he pretty much trashed it I think it probably ends up going through some kind of Class D amp for the power side. I also think they bump the voltage on the 6N2P's to make them glow brighter than necessary to give that tube glow....wild stuff.

I just don't think you are going to get into anything really tube, vintage or new, for less than $500 or $600 and probably more than that unless you find an estate sale or a fluke at Goodwill. A real tube amp for like $140 was just never, never going to happen.
    j beede
    j beede

Post by j beede Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:47 pm

A Magnavox 197/597 single ended EL-84 stereo "console" amp will provide real tube sound for $100-200. Add an Apple Airport Extreme as a wireless streaming "preamp" for another $50 or so.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:49 pm