The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

Yuan-Jing 6N3 Tube Pre-amp from Parts Express

anbitet66
    anbitet66

Yuan-Jing 6N3 Tube Pre-amp from Parts Express Empty Yuan-Jing 6N3 Tube Pre-amp from Parts Express

Post by anbitet66 Tue Mar 01, 2016 2:27 pm

Anyone here interested in a little diy project?  Check this out: Yuan-Jing 6N3 Preamp

I don't know how good or bad this pre-amp is, but at $22.80 I bought two of them.

How bad could they be?  I guess I'll find out in a couple of days and I'll post back.  At the very least I'm hoping the circuit stops working when the tube is removed. scratch

We'll see.

Tony
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Yuan-Jing 6N3 Tube Pre-amp from Parts Express Empty Re: Yuan-Jing 6N3 Tube Pre-amp from Parts Express

Post by Roy Mottram Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:01 pm

uum . . . interesting . . .! It's got 4 transistors and runs on 12v. yeah, see what it does with no tube in there !!!
    anbitet66
    anbitet66

Yuan-Jing 6N3 Tube Pre-amp from Parts Express Empty Re: Yuan-Jing 6N3 Tube Pre-amp from Parts Express

Post by anbitet66 Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:53 pm

Sigh, well,

It arrived last night.  A quick look at the board confirmed the tube is in the circuit, but it is a cathode follower, no gain. Embarassed   OK, not a big deal, do more research next time.  The power supply must be 12VAC since the four transistors are used in a 30V+/- split supply and there is a 7805 voltage regulator for the tube heater.

online schematic

I'll see how it sounds this weekend.  In the meantime it does give me an idea to play with to maybe convert it to a gain stage.

Still easily worth the $22.80 I spent.

more to follow...

Tony

Last edited by anbitet66 on Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Changed my mind. So sue me.)
    GP49

Post by GP49 Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:08 pm

What is the input impedance? It could make a useful buffer to feed solid state equipment from a tube preamp phono stage that is sensitive to load impedance, like a Dynaco PAS.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:57 am

GP49 wrote:What is the input impedance?  It could make a useful buffer to feed solid state equipment from a tube preamp phono stage that is sensitive to load impedance, like a Dynaco PAS.
    Looking at the schematics input impedance is more then 1 Mhom
    I'll have to adjust this, input impedance equals the pot on input, whatever it has.
    But you may remove the pot and take the signal stright to the input caps, then input
    impedance will be more then 1 Mohm

Last edited by peterh on Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:23 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adjustment of answer, input pot discussed.)
    arledgsc
    arledgsc

Post by arledgsc Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:08 pm

I don't see the point if unity gain. You are just adding noise and distortion to the audio signal if using as a line level volume control. Other than an impedance buffer perhaps but tube cathode followers do not necessarily have ultra-low output impedance which can limit connecting cable lengths to very short ones with low capacitance.
    anbitet66
    anbitet66

Post by anbitet66 Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:32 pm

The pot measures 45k ohms. Not good for high impedance output devices. I will probably remove it and sub a 250k or 500k minimum of I think it's needed.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:37 pm

anbitet66 wrote:The pot measures 45k ohms. Not good for high impedance output devices. I will probably remove it and sub a 250k or 500k minimum of I think it's needed.
    Or remove it and substitute with 470k to ground.

The pot and it's function could be used at the output instead, the tube will happily
    load 45k and output impedans is still decent.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 7:53 am