The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

SP-14: Breaking in new coupling caps.

Kentley
    Kentley

SP-14: Breaking in new coupling caps. Empty SP-14: Breaking in new coupling caps.

Post by Kentley Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:38 pm

Took a big leap today and ordered a set of Mundorf Supreme SGO caps for the trusty SP-14. Big $$$. I know that it takes at least 100 hours of use before these babies really open up. Here's the $100K question: will break-in occur if the preamp is powered up and the output is connected to an UNPOWERED amp, or does the signal chain have to be completed with a functioning, pumping power amp? I'd just as soon put a pink-noise sweep type test CD on repeat and leave it for a few days with the ST-120 OFF conserving KT-88s, if that will do the job. ???
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

SP-14: Breaking in new coupling caps. Empty Re: SP-14: Breaking in new coupling caps.

Post by Roy Mottram Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:52 pm

just power up the preamp and a source into it - no amp needed on the output.
    Kentley
    Kentley

SP-14: Breaking in new coupling caps. Empty Re: SP-14: Breaking in new coupling caps.

Post by Kentley Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:08 pm

tubes4hifi wrote:just power up the preamp and a source into it - no amp needed on the output.
    Thanks, Roy. I was hoping you'd say that. Cool
    corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:20 pm

What other caps have you used in your SP14?
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:19 pm

corndog71 wrote:What other caps have you used in your SP14?
    The only others I have are the excellent Russian PIO caps, which I respect a lot. But those extra outputs were calling out to me for a year.
    corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:51 pm

I highly recommend Clarity Cap MR series.
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:55 pm

corndog71 wrote:I highly recommend Clarity Cap MR series.
    I have heard that they are excellent as well. Duly noted - Thanks.
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:46 pm

Update: The Mundorfs were installed Friday (by the steady-handed audiobill) and thus have had some break-in. I must admit that the SQ is stunning already. There is a pinpoint accuracy to the imaging and a sense of solidity unlike anything I've ever heard.
    As these (Mundorf Supreme Silver-Gold-Oil .33mfd) are not cheap at $96/pair I suspect you might assess whether such an expense can be justified. For me, the answer is an unequivocal "YES".
    So, unlike Bob Geldof, I DO like Mundies!
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:40 pm

expensive as the Mundorfs are, every single customer who has bought them from me has told me they were well worth the extra cost, and made a significant improvement in sound quality. Nice to know that with a quality preamp, quality amp, and quality speakers,
    that improvements can still be made and can be HEARD!!
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:49 pm

tubes4hifi wrote:expensive as the Mundorfs are, every single customer who has bought them from me has told me they were well worth the extra cost, and made a significant improvement in sound quality.   Nice to know that with a quality preamp, quality amp, and quality speakers,
    that improvements can still be made and can be HEARD!!
    My inexpert opinion is this: IF you have every element of your system optimized - and that includes the ROOM, SETUP, and SOURCE material - it might be worth your while to consider a pair of Mundorfs for your preamp. Otherwise, you will be disappointed. They are not magic - just darned good.
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:37 pm

Well, where can we get Magi-Caps?
    Kentley
    Kentley

Post by Kentley Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:28 pm

Tube Nube wrote:Well, where can we get Magi-Caps?
    Well, V-Caps cost about three times what the Mundies cost, so they'd darn well better be verging on the Miraculous.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 10:07 pm