The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+4
corndog71
peterh
daveshel
boeingpilot
8 posters

SCA-35 Questions..

boeingpilot

SCA-35 Questions.. - Page 2 Empty Re: SCA-35 Questions..

Post by boeingpilot Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:53 am

Ok, another quick SCA-35 question.....

I gave said amp to my son for graduation. I've noticed after it's been playing for a while I heard a weird sound. Tracked it down to the amp becoming very microphonic, and was causing feed back into the speaker. If I tapped the EL84's, the feed back would go away, but the tubes were VERY microphonic.

Appears the JJ El84's are quite microphonic. I thinking of replacing these. Any suggestions?

corndog71
    corndog71

Post by corndog71 Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:09 pm

boeingpilot wrote:Ok, another quick SCA-35 question.....

I gave said amp to my son for graduation.  I've noticed after it's been playing for a while I heard a weird sound.  Tracked it down to the amp becoming very microphonic, and was causing feed back into the speaker.  If I tapped the EL84's, the feed back would go away, but the tubes were VERY microphonic.

Appears the JJ El84's are quite microphonic.  I thinking of replacing these.  Any suggestions?

On the cheap side I like Valve Art which are chinese. They'll get the job done although I've heard better ones too. I'm not a fan of JJ tubes due to previous bad experiences although some of their tubes are ok.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Tue Jun 07, 2016 6:01 pm

boeingpilot wrote:Ok, another quick SCA-35 question.....

I gave said amp to my son for graduation.  I've noticed after it's been playing for a while I heard a weird sound.  Tracked it down to the amp becoming very microphonic, and was causing feed back into the speaker.  If I tapped the EL84's, the feed back would go away, but the tubes were VERY microphonic.

Appears the JJ El84's are quite microphonic.  I thinking of replacing these.  Any suggestions?

A microphonic tube should be replaced. I have no recollection that jj el84 was susceptible to this, but any tube that has it's internals mounted on mica is sensitive for mechanical shock.
    It can also be problems with the tube sockets or solderings around it , the boards are
    exposed to some heat that might damage them.
    GP49

Post by GP49 Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:11 pm

I'd check for loose sockets and especially for poor solder joints first. Since most SCA-35s were kit-built, I'd always check for workmanship issues in a used one.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 3:09 pm