The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+2
Peter W.
Ed Chambers
6 posters

New ST 70 Replica

Ed Chambers

New ST 70 Replica Empty New ST 70 Replica

Post by Ed Chambers Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:39 am

I recently read about a new ST 70 amp made by an outfit called Radial Engineering. I am wondering about Bob's (and others) thoughts on this product, especially its SS rectifier. I'm guessing this has been previously discussed in the forum. Ed Chambers
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

New ST 70 Replica Empty Re: New ST 70 Replica

Post by Peter W. Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:56 am

Ed Chambers wrote:I recently read about a new ST 70 amp made by an outfit called Radial Engineering.  I am wondering about Bob's (and others) thoughts on this product, especially its SS rectifier.    I'm guessing this has been previously discussed in the forum.         Ed Chambers

At an 'estimated' price of $2,999.99 - I do not really think much about this option.

Aside:

With that in mind, I once received a note from a gentleman in Germany on one of my posts in another venue on 'things Chinese' with specific reference to a Chinese power amp that had the build-quality of a Yugo using salvaged Trabant parts. He stated that what with VAT and extremely high transport costs in Europe, options that we take for granted in the US are very costly 'over there' and so Chinese sourced equipment became possible options as they were initially very cheap, and China Post subsidized transport costs. Go Figure. So, I am thinking that a price of $2,500 for something available here in the US for a small fraction of that, probably better, is even more nuts than it appears to be on its face.
    arledgsc
    arledgsc

Post by arledgsc Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:50 am

They even put a Dynaco label on the front of the unit...  ST-70x

http://www.rutherfordaudio.com/dynaco-st70-glorious-return/
    Corona

Post by Corona Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:55 am

Probably less good or equal to the VTA70 with 2-3x the price tag.
    Ed Chambers

Post by Ed Chambers Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:46 pm

The price aside, Radial claims to be a Canadian company and this amp has received a lot of attention from the legitimate press, including Stereophile. I suppose this development is a compliment to all of us who believe that a Dynaco amp, properly modernized, is a superb product. I certainly feel that way about my VTA ST 120. Ed
    Dogstar

Post by Dogstar Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:35 pm

Well...it looks nice and I see a plethora of techno-mumbo-jumbo in the article.....
    I'm not really interested in purchasing one but it is making me think about another VTA ST-120.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:42 pm

Way I understand it, Radial actually owns the Dynaco brand now, although, as with anything that's been bouncing around in limbo that long, there's some debate there ...

Anyway, looks like a decent enough, albeit overpriced alternative.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:04 am