The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Building a pair of new MKIVs and need some help

HiGHFLYiN9
    HiGHFLYiN9

Building a pair of new MKIVs and need some help Empty Building a pair of new MKIVs and need some help

Post by HiGHFLYiN9 Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:19 am

I posted this over on DIYTube a couple weeks ago but that forum is unfortunately in deep cryo-stasis now that Shannon has retired from offering boards. I was gathering parts for a pair of MKIVs, I first asked VTA but they aren't offering MKIV boards currently. I was very fortunate to get a pair of Poseidon boards that Tom McNally had spare. Now, between the Poseidon board and the Classic Valve Cap board, I'm a bit confused about how things are configured as the documentation on the cap board is a little nebulous (at least for a non-engineer).

Here's the schematic and images for the Poseidon: Poseidon Manual

This is the Cap board and schematic:

Building a pair of new MKIVs and need some help 02dbvhq

Building a pair of new MKIVs and need some help XWQMTlE

These are the two transformers:

Building a pair of new MKIVs and need some help UJPJGaO

Building a pair of new MKIVs and need some help I65jqgW

...and this is what I have so far:

Building a pair of new MKIVs and need some help JDRCwYv

So some questions regarding the cap board:

1. Would the "rectifier output" connection be pin 8 on the 5AR4?

2. Assuming "power ground output" means the black wire on the A-470? ... would this also be run to the negative speaker terminal?

3. For Transformer Bias Tap, would that be Red/Black on the PA-135?

4. For Transformer Center tap, would that be red/yellow on the PA-135?

5. Where do eyelet #6 and #8 correspond on the Poseiden?

Sorry for all the rudimentary questions. While I can make assumptions, I want to ensure everything is exactly correct and consulting the experts is always important! Smile
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Building a pair of new MKIVs and need some help Empty Re: Building a pair of new MKIVs and need some help

Post by Bob Latino Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:39 am

The answers to your questions 1 through 4 are yes. As to your question 5 about eyelets 6 and 8 and what would they refer to on the Poseidon board, I am not sure? I suggest you Email Shannon and/or Classic Valve for an explanation of what is connected to those eyelets.

Bob
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Building a pair of new MKIVs and need some help Empty Re: Building a pair of new MKIVs and need some help

Post by Roy Mottram Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:00 pm

if you look at a Dynaco MK4 schematic you will see where eyelets 6 and 8 are, but those are on the original Dyna board, NOT on the new Poseidan board, so they wouldn't be used in your case.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 2:48 pm