The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

M125 Interconnect Lengths

Denizen
    Denizen

M125 Interconnect Lengths Empty M125 Interconnect Lengths

Post by Denizen Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:39 am

House guests have delayed the completion of the 2nd mono blockblock but with only about an hour of work left, I'm back to wondering about interconnects.
    My limited knowledge has me believing that shorter lengths are best where the signal is weakest. However I most often see mono blocks placed quite closely to the speakers. As my interconnects are currently nothing extravagant, I'm okay with building new ones of any length.

Does anyone here have first hand experience with mono block placement and interconnect lengths that can describe the benefits of one over the other?

Thanks!
    arledgsc
    arledgsc

M125 Interconnect Lengths Empty Re: M125 Interconnect Lengths

Post by arledgsc Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:03 am

My 2 cents... I would keep the interconnects as short as practical. They are high impedance connections and the high frequencies will be more attenuated as lengths are increased. So pay attention to cable spec capacitance per ft. Also the unbalanced cable connections could be more prone to noise induction as the lengths are increased. If you had a balanced connection with lower impedance then longer cables may work just fine.

Speakers are very low impedance and can tolerate longer cables. Within reason of course. You have a lot of current on the speaker wires so gauge of wire is important plus if you get too long then inductance becomes a significant factor.
    Denizen
    Denizen

Post by Denizen Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:52 am

arledgsc wrote:My 2 cents...  I would keep the interconnects as short as practical.  They are high impedance connections and the high frequencies will be more attenuated as lengths are increased.  So pay attention to cable spec capacitance per ft.  Also the unbalanced cable connections could be more prone to noise induction as the lengths are increased.  If you had a balanced connection with lower impedance then longer cables may work just fine.

Speakers are very low impedance and can tolerate longer cables.  Within reason of course.  You have a lot of current on the speaker wires so gauge of wire is important plus if you get too long then inductance becomes a significant factor.  

Thank you. That very much mirrors my thinking on the matter (but you say it better than I think I could).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 10:19 pm