The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Solid State Rectification - ST-120

mantha3
    mantha3

Solid State Rectification - ST-120 Empty Solid State Rectification - ST-120

Post by mantha3 Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:58 pm

I have an ST-120 that has sounded wonderful for 6 years running. I used a Weber GZ68 copper cap and find the sound is just as excellent.

I am interested in soldering in some 1N4007 diodes under the tube socket. I would still run the GZ34 heater/filiment power so that I could run a rectifier tube for the looks aspect. I have a GZ37 big bottle by Mullard that is a thing of beauty but it went south and won't hold steady...

What would the 1N4007 diode solder points be on the tube socket to pull this off?

Thanks and good to see you all are still posting here! Been a long time!

Andy
    eickmewg

Solid State Rectification - ST-120 Empty Re: Solid State Rectification - ST-120

Post by eickmewg Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:13 am

So the tube rectifier would be entirely for show? I'm using a ventilated WZ68 in my VTA ST120 with the TDR module. If I wanted some bling, I'll just polish up the WZ68 every month. I'm sure somebody can help you put in some diodes for rectification, but it seems somewhat pointless to me. So do the heaters on the GZ37 even still work in your Mullard? Not using the 5 V transformer tap actually takes some load off the power transformer.

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 pm