The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

CV Transformer - and Clean Power for Your System

Peter W.
    Peter W.

CV Transformer - and Clean Power for Your System Empty CV Transformer - and Clean Power for Your System

Post by Peter W. Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:11 am

https://www.alliedelec.com/solahd-23-23-210-8/70098582/  

Here is a possible solution for high/low voltage conditions: A harmonically compensated Constant Voltage transformer capable of 8A, albeit at a price. As these things tend to make some (audible) noise at the extremes, I would suggest mounting it near the service panel, then running the regulated line to the stereo. At 8A, it should be adequate for most systems. But it has the virtues of simplicity, reliability and low maintenance. Not terribly expensive as measured against the typical high-end audio component these days, either. More money gets a bigger one, if needed.

No variacs, no voltage regulators and will handle high and low incoming voltage conditions. My direct experience with (uncompensated) CV transformers is that they are reasonably good with surges and sags as well. However, an uncompensated device is very much NOT suggested for an audio application as the output waveform is pretty wretched.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

CV Transformer - and Clean Power for Your System Empty Re: CV Transformer - and Clean Power for Your System

Post by sKiZo Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:53 pm

Too bad you can't adjust the output - be nice to dial it back from 120vac to the maybe 117vac a lot of tube equipment is happier with ...
    GP49

CV Transformer - and Clean Power for Your System Empty Re: CV Transformer - and Clean Power for Your System

Post by GP49 Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:54 pm

I used a small one, same manufacturer (Sola) on my turntable (induction motor, thus somewhat prone  to speed variation with mains voltage) when I lived in San Francisco where line voltage at my apartment was variable from 103 VAC to 127 VAC.  The electric utility has replaced pole-mounted equipment and built a new substation since, with concomitant improvement both in voltage stability and emitted noise.

I found that the Thorens TD-124 turntable was less stable in speed with voltage variation than the Garrard 301.  In fact it was less so than the Garrard AT-6 record changer (which admittedly had to be designed to spin one, up to a stack of eight records and run an automatic cycling and record change mechanism).
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:28 pm

Peter W. wrote:https://www.alliedelec.com/solahd-23-23-210-8/70098582/  

Here is a possible solution for high/low voltage conditions: A harmonically compensated Constant Voltage transformer capable of 8A, albeit at a price. As these things tend to make some (audible) noise at the extremes, I would suggest mounting it near the service panel, then running the regulated line to the stereo. At 8A, it should be adequate for most systems. But it has the virtues of simplicity, reliability and low maintenance. Not terribly expensive as measured against the typical high-end audio component these days, either. More money gets a bigger one, if needed.

No variacs, no voltage regulators and will handle high and low incoming voltage conditions. My direct experience with (uncompensated) CV transformers is that they are reasonably good with surges and sags as well. However, an uncompensated device is very much NOT suggested for an audio application as the output waveform is pretty wretched.
    Boy, that price-tag puts it right up there with a Furman, which clamps at 121VAC and generates no audible noise even if parked on the outlet end right next to the hi-fi gear. That would be a tad high for vintage Dynaco equip. but works fine with Roy's and Bob's stuff.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 11:07 pm