The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

New-to-Me FM3

Peter W.
    Peter W.

New-to-Me FM3 Empty New-to-Me FM3

Post by Peter W. Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:38 am

Well, guys and gals, I snagged an FM3 via that auction venue, entirely coincidental that it is being sold by a (true) gentleman for whom I have done repairs in the past, and who operates a vintage music shop in Chestnut Hill (neighborhood of Philadelphia) called Hideaway Music.

https://chestnuthillpa.com/business/hideaway-music/

In any case, I will post 'before' and 'after' images.

I have a couple of packages to ship west tomorrow - only then will I get to it, however. But, I pick it up today.

This one - and no shipping costs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/DYNA-DYNACO-FM-TUBE-TUNER-NOT-TESTED-FOR-PARTS-OR-RESTORATION-/382377961506?hash=item590780a822%3Ag%3AERcAAOSwNMVafxJP&nma=true&si=lI8lWy31NQWrBxWKtgAe7awa4%252BI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
    CletusB
    CletusB

New-to-Me FM3 Empty Re: New-to-Me FM3

Post by CletusB Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:09 pm

Nice find! Very Happy
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:52 pm

CletusB wrote:Nice find! Very Happy

Now that it is in my hands, there is an expression for these sorts of finds: "Rode hard and put away wet."

In many ways, my favorite challenge for restoration - very likely nothing much wrong with it beyond years of hard use. We shall see.
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:51 pm

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ekh080d0rt7t6kw/AACu5Oax-ogVfLqm9dq8Bj7Da?dl=0

Here it is. Dusty and somewhat greasy, but not smoker grease!

Pulling about 46 Watts (0.4A @115 V), a bit high, but the low-level, not-volume-control hum explains that. Receives, and in stereo (!) but with an undercurrent of fuzz. So, immediately, all electrolytics will be done, a thorough cleaning and then an alignment. I would like to keep this one "Factory" but for the caps. I will also do some obvious upgrading of the small-value caps as well, for now.

One OEM 12AX7, one GE aftermarket. And the rectifier is after-market as well (RCA). This is an original Powelton Avenue unit, before Jefferson Street, but with the conical IF cans, so right on the cusp of that move.

Please forgive the mess in the background.

More to come.
    bluemeanies
    bluemeanies

Post by bluemeanies Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:53 pm

I know exactly where HIDEAWAY MUSIC is located. I have family living in Flourtown. Always wanted to visit that store to see what it had to offer.
    Thanks for posting website.
    setu

Post by setu Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:19 pm

Hi Peter,

I have so enjoyed your other very informative posts! Thanks much!

I don't take electronic components into my shower(anymore)-----var capacitor steel bearings might
    rust......
    Now I hold them aloft in freeway-speed 69 Dodge Dart convertible.
    I am allergic to dust, cat-dander and FM-3 work is hard/tedious enough----so clean is nice.
    Perhaps the higher-internal heat increases in/out airflow with contaminants?

I resisted my hotrod desires in RF section although IF got tweaked.
    I found final audio section a more comfortable playground.

I now think an early-in-project alignment is good--improves mid-project evaluations.
    (obviously final alignment still necessary)
    Bill Thomas (RIP) postings elsewhere really helped my needed FM-3 understanding.
    I think multiple star-grounding of all 3 PC-boards and tube-shields is under-rated.
    Taller feet and hidden 1/2" vent holes seem required for such heat.
    Best of luck.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 7:12 pm