The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+2
nmchiefsfan
kevinmi
6 posters

Yet Another Output Tube Thread!

kevinmi
    kevinmi

Yet Another Output Tube Thread! Empty Yet Another Output Tube Thread!

Post by kevinmi Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:55 pm

Here's the story- after building my ST-120 amp several years back, I started tube rolling. I tried Sovtec KT88's, 6550's, and a quad of Gold Lion Kt88's. I wasn't impressed with the GL's, and then the Tung-Sol KT 120's came on the market. I purchased them and was pleased with the sound.
    After at least 5 years without tube rolling, I decided to put the GL's back in to make sure they still worked before I put them up for sale. Lo and Behold, I am actually liking the way they sound, even more that the KT-120's. I don't know what it is that made me not like them in the first place. They are a lot smoother than the KT 120's. Maybe warmer, not so analytical, so to speak.
    I think that ageing them in my basement for several years made them better, you know, like a good wine. Now I'm gonna have to start tube rolling all over again to see if the other tubes sound better!
    nmchiefsfan

Yet Another Output Tube Thread! Empty Re: Yet Another Output Tube Thread!

Post by nmchiefsfan Sat Mar 31, 2018 6:33 pm

Maybe your KT120's are just wearing out and it is time for a new set!
    kevinmi
    kevinmi

Post by kevinmi Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:31 am

nmchiefsfan wrote:Maybe your KT120's are just wearing out and it is time for a new set!
    Yeah, I thought about that also. I'll check them out on my tube tester if I can figure out how to set it up for those tubes correctly. Probably try KT-88 settings to see how close they match.
    nmchiefsfan

Post by nmchiefsfan Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:22 am

I have been running my KT-120s for 5 years. I should put my sovtec KT-88's that came with the amp in and see if I hear a difference!
    Roy
    Roy

Post by Roy Sun Apr 01, 2018 12:09 pm

after 5 years of use those kt120's will definately differ from a fresh set of kt88's Wink
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:23 pm

Five years or about 3k hours is a lot to expect of even the best new-issue tubes.
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:21 pm

Ah - thanx for the reminder. Been meaning to switch back to the KT120's here. Been using the TAD 88STRs for a while now. Time to give them a rest.

As far as whether they'll sound the same as before? Who knows? Not used to them anymore, and I AM running a completely different set of drivers ...
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:38 pm

deepee99 wrote:Five years or about 3k hours is a lot to expect of even the best new-issue tubes.

My 6550 has 3783h and keep ticking .... Same quad as installed app. 3 years ago

( used in a vta-70, JJ )
    kevinmi
    kevinmi

Post by kevinmi Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:46 am

kevinmi wrote:
    nmchiefsfan wrote:Maybe your KT120's are just wearing out and it is time for a new set!
    Yeah, I thought about that also. I'll check them out on my tube tester if I can figure out how to set it up for those tubes correctly. Probably try KT-88 settings to see how close they match.
    I tested the KT-120's and they all tested around 7450 to 7500, which is new for a KT-88 on my Hickok 533a tester.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:34 am