The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+9
Peter W.
chefothefuture
Dogstar
Dale Stevens
kevinmi
corndog71
CletusB
nmchiefsfan
deepee99
13 posters

A question of tubeage ref the VTA ST-120 drivers

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

A question of tubeage ref the VTA ST-120 drivers - Page 2 Empty Re: A question of tubeage ref the VTA ST-120 drivers

Post by Bob Latino Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:29 pm

chefothefuture wrote:Since the original question was about preferred driver tubes in a VTA ST120, will 7199s even work in one?

No
    peterh
    peterh

A question of tubeage ref the VTA ST-120 drivers - Page 2 Empty Re: A question of tubeage ref the VTA ST-120 drivers

Post by peterh Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:56 pm

Bob Latino wrote:
    chefothefuture wrote:Quite true, but I thought the purpose of the VTA board was to get away from the 7199s...

I realized my previous comment was in error. Forget the topic referred to all driver types. Many apologies.

Yes > Why use a driver board using driver tubes (7199) that are not made anymore ? The price of the remaining crop of 7199's keeps getting higher and higher each year. Right now the average price of an NOS 7199 is maybe $35 or $40. Also there is no other driver tube that you can substitute for a 7199 with a direct plug in ? Sure - You can use a 6GH8A as a replacement driver tube with a suitable adapter but the adapters are $10 and up per tube.

Bob
    Sorry, it was ment as a joke , note the smiley.
    kevinmi
    kevinmi

Post by kevinmi Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:56 am

I bought a bunch of 12au7 variants a while back, and finally got around to trying them out on my ST-120. I found a vintage GE 5963 to be the best overall tube in the center while using the Gold Lion KT-88's. Even beats out a vintage Sylvania 12bh7 I recently purchased
    chefothefuture

Post by chefothefuture Sat Apr 14, 2018 2:23 am

Well, after a bit of a wait, the Treasure CV181 arrived. Put it in the center position and it certainly changed the sound. Frequencies seem more distinct. Things like reverb in a recording seem to jump out. Stereo seems wider. Maybe that's improved soundstage? But there are some odd things too- the bass on Yes's "Long Distance Runaround" sounds mildly flanged, though my ancient mono Daphis et Chloe sounds superb. Also- the tube flashes at power up but then dims to a normal glow. So I like the tube but I hope it lasts a while.
    kevinmi
    kevinmi

Post by kevinmi Sat Apr 21, 2018 2:09 pm

I just bought a vintage Phillips branded Amperex Holland 12au7 that is phenomenal in the center spot!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 10:23 pm