The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

Deezer HiFi

mazeeff

Deezer HiFi Empty Deezer HiFi

Post by mazeeff Tue May 22, 2018 6:56 am

Over the last few years, I have tried most of the available streaming services, including Pandora, Spotify, Tidal and Deezer HiFi. I had been using Tidal's lossless service for the last six months, and was satisfied with the quality, but not with the Rap focused Jay Z content. I recently decided to try Deezer HiFi, and am very happy with the results. It streams a full 1411kb/s FLAC stream, and has great dynamic range. Pretty much the same content as Tidal and Spotify, and has very good playlist content. Sounds great on my ST120. I also listen to Radio Paradise, which is a free lossless music service, with very good content.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Deezer HiFi Empty Re: Deezer HiFi

Post by deepee99 Tue May 22, 2018 3:07 pm

Not heard of them. Will have to give a try. What's needed in the way of hardware?
    mazeeff

Post by mazeeff Tue May 22, 2018 3:25 pm

deepee99 wrote:Not heard of them. Will have to give a try. What's needed in the way of hardware?

Unfortunately, the supported hardware list for HiFi is limited. I'm running the Deezer desktop app on a Windows 10 PC. I then run a toslink optical cable to my preamp, and then on to my ST120. Their web site describes the supported platforms.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Tue May 22, 2018 4:07 pm

mazeeff wrote:
    deepee99 wrote:Not heard of them. Will have to give a try. What's needed in the way of hardware?

Unfortunately, the supported hardware list for HiFi is limited. I'm running the Deezer desktop app on a Windows 10 PC. I then run a toslink optical cable to my preamp, and then on to my ST120. Their web site describes the supported platforms.
    I suppose there's always the Airport Express option, the whole thing controlled on an iPad or iPhone. . . There's no contact info for pre-sales tech support on their site. I'd like to try this but am gonna stand by until I can get some answers on how best to configure.
    mazeeff

Post by mazeeff Tue May 22, 2018 5:51 pm

deepee99 wrote:
    mazeeff wrote:

I suppose there's always the Airport Express option, the whole thing controlled on an iPad or iPhone. . .  There's no contact info for pre-sales tech support on their site. I'd like to try this but am gonna stand by until I can get some answers on how best to configure.

I do not think that Deezer HiFi works on either Ipad or Iphone. Here is a link to the list of supported devices.

https://support.deezer.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115004588345-Deezer-HiFi
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Tue May 22, 2018 5:56 pm

mazeeff wrote:
    deepee99 wrote:
    mazeeff wrote:

I suppose there's always the Airport Express option, the whole thing controlled on an iPad or iPhone. . .  There's no contact info for pre-sales tech support on their site. I'd like to try this but am gonna stand by until I can get some answers on how best to configure.

I do not think that Deezer HiFi works on either Ipad or Iphone. Here is a link to the list of supported devices.

https://support.deezer.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115004588345-Deezer-HiFi
    No hope for Linux, I guess.
    mazeeff

Post by mazeeff Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:42 am

I just wanted to close out this thread with a final review of Deezer HiFi, having just finished my free month. As I have mentioned before, I am primarily a streamer who listens to music all day long (retired). I have tried Pandora, Spotify, Tidal and Deezer. I am really picky when it comes streaming nuances like a slow UI, or a service that is constantly buffering. Here are my pros and cons.

Pros:

1. Quality of stream. Streaming at CD quality 1411kb/s, it matches the quality of Tidal. I was also able to do a fair amount of A/B comparisons between Deezer and my CD player, and could not tell much difference between the two. I use the Deezer HiFi Beta app for Windows 10, which required me to set up my VTA ST120 a little differently than normal. I am running a Toslink optical cable from my PC to a Onkyo receiver with preamp outputs to the ST120. I was a little worried about Deezer being a French company, and whether the stream performance would be a issue here in the U.S. I have never encountered a single issue with the stream dropping out.

2. The UI is fast, makes sense, the music plays quickly after hitting the play button. Has lots of options for Playlists, Mixes, and flows. Spotify has a slightly better UI, but this one is fine.

Cons:

1. The app support for Deezer HiFi is the worst of all the streamers. No HiFi support for phones! The only practical way to run it, is on a Mac or PC. HiFi is also supported on Sonas, and a few other devices, that I do not have. Deezer claims to be working on HiFi support for more devices.

2. No gapless playback. A CD like Pink Floyd; The Wall, plays with a slight gap between songs. whereas the real CD plays with no gaps. This is one of the top user complaints on the Deezer forum, and I hope that it gets fixed soon.

Summary:

The price of $20 a month is the same as Tidal, but I was offered a deal for $14.99 a month for the 1st year, or $119.99 if I pay for the 1st year in advance. I took the $120 deal, which matches what you would pay for Spotify for the one year. Having 5 million virtual CD's at my beck and call, while sitting in my lazy boy, suits me just fine! I am VERY happy with the service.
    audiobill

Post by audiobill Sun Jun 03, 2018 6:22 am

All - please be aware that Tidal, at CD resolution, is 40% off for US veterans, or $11.99/month.
    Finjima

Post by Finjima Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:56 pm

Based on your review I signed up! lets take er for a spin and see what to play

(starts with Jeff Buckley)....
    mazeeff

Post by mazeeff Tue Jun 05, 2018 7:24 pm

Finjima wrote:Based on your review I signed up!  lets take er for a spin and see what to play

(starts with Jeff Buckley)....

Good luck. Let us know know what you think after a few days. It will take 20-30 hours of play time to build a solid set of "mixes" and "flows".
    bluemeanies
    bluemeanies

Post by bluemeanies Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:36 am

Nice review. I am a TIDAL user and have been for a few years now. I am sticking with TIDAL, not jumping ship when I am satisfied with their music offerings. 
    Glad to hear there were no drop-off issues. I have heard that issue with many people on other forums relating to TIDAL. 
    HOWEVER, using TIDAL while I had occasional drop-out I base that on the hardware being used at the time...APPLE AIRPLAY. While Apple did the job the occasional drop-outs still existed. 
    Since I went to a Mac-mini and a monitor with 0 drop-outs.

Thanks again for the review.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:56 am