The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

VTA ST-120, Decade of enjoyment.

ArlanB
    ArlanB

VTA ST-120, Decade of enjoyment. Empty VTA ST-120, Decade of enjoyment.

Post by ArlanB Tue Jun 26, 2018 12:34 am

Well it has now been 10 years of pure sonic enjoyment since I purchased and assembled my ST-120, according to Bob it was one of the first off the line.  It came as a no frills kit (I did not purchase any upgrades)  so it is as originally designed.  It went together over a priod of 4 days (about 3 hours/day) and some much appretiated help.  It has now been operatig for ten years with only the tubes being the weak links.  At present I am running  KT88's that are the Tube Stores version of Penta Labs KT88SC (solid plate), Mullard CV4024, and a Shuguang 5AR4.  I am using a PAT4 that I have upgraded over the years that creats a very pleasing sound, ESS Heil AM10b speakers and 3 turntables, one each of the three kinds of drive mechanisms.  A Dual 1219(idler), Dual 1249(belt), and a Technics SL-7(DD) all three purchased when new.  I think that I have reached a point where the major hardware has met my desires.  I say that now but who knows what may come.  Hope that I can enjoy it for another 15-20 years. Thanks Bob for a beautiful creation.

ArlanB
    deepee99
    deepee99

VTA ST-120, Decade of enjoyment. Empty Re: VTA ST-120, Decade of enjoyment.

Post by deepee99 Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:51 pm

Ten years! That's a pretty good report card, Arlan. Did you do the re-flow-the-solder thing some recommend after the first year?
    ArlanB
    ArlanB

Post by ArlanB Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:52 pm

I used Penta Labs KT88SC from Shuguang and had 6 years of bliss.  So I figured that the failures were not due to poor solder joints, but just poor tubes.  Two years ago one of the Pentas red plated and I had to go to another source for this particular intertion of KT88's due to Penta discontinuing there KT88's.  My new set are doing fine at the end of two years.  So I think I might have got it right the first time.  (Famous last words).

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 1:16 am