The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

5 posters

Hello from a Tube Wanna Be.. Yet Another Rectifier Question!

Itchy

Hello from a Tube Wanna Be.. Yet Another Rectifier Question! Empty Hello from a Tube Wanna Be.. Yet Another Rectifier Question!

Post by Itchy Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:30 pm

Hello. I've been a DIY guy for 40 years now, built my own amps, eq's (Love the Marchand Bassis for my HT), built a great set of L,C,R, speakers (not very efficient unfortunately, currently powered by an XPA 5 from Emotiva), subs powered by 2 killowatt sand amps, etc, yada yada. I want to get around to building a pair of M125's.
    I have been lurking here for months, and reading quite a bit. Perhaps not enough, because here is my question: Why can't someone, somewhere, build a kickbutt rectifier? In other words, what is the physical limitation of making a tube that can pass say 500ma instead of the 270 or so that an expensive (and old!) GZ from the UK can? I have to think there is some physical limitation, or one would be available. I like the idea of having a 100% valve amp, but will likely have to go with the plug in solid state option as that seems to be the reliable setup. Could the 125 be set up with a pair of tubes, in parallel (obviously with a chassis mod), would the power transformer be able to handle two filaments?
    Anyway thanks. I know rectifiers have been beat to death, and that will continue until morale, eh current, improves! Shocked
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Hello from a Tube Wanna Be.. Yet Another Rectifier Question! Empty Re: Hello from a Tube Wanna Be.. Yet Another Rectifier Question!

Post by sKiZo Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:28 pm

They do ... the GG1-0.5/5

Hello from a Tube Wanna Be.. Yet Another Rectifier Question! USSR-High-Voltage-Rectifier-Tubes-Tube-GG1-05-5-Lot

Just not one that's plug and play in these amps. Bonus points if you come up with a conversion ...
    cci1492
    cci1492

Hello from a Tube Wanna Be.. Yet Another Rectifier Question! Empty Re: Hello from a Tube Wanna Be.. Yet Another Rectifier Question!

Post by cci1492 Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:42 pm

sKiZo wrote:They do ... the GG1-0.5/5

Hello from a Tube Wanna Be.. Yet Another Rectifier Question! USSR-High-Voltage-Rectifier-Tubes-Tube-GG1-05-5-Lot

Just not one that's plug and play in these amps. Bonus points if you come up with a conversion ...

500ma/5kV...yikes!
    Itchy

Post by Itchy Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:46 pm

Nice! What is the voltage drop on that one? :-)

That has a certain mean look to it!
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Russian-High-Voltage-Rectifier-Tube-GG1-0-5-5-1-NEW-LOT-1pcs-/132026200606

If the voltage drop was acceptable, other than having to run a wire for the output to a plug at the top, could it work? The pins look exceptionally tubby.
    Hello from a Tube Wanna Be.. Yet Another Rectifier Question! GG0-1

The price is almost free.
    Itchy

Post by Itchy Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:47 pm

From here: http://www.russiantubes.com/prop.php?t=5&p=3 Current seems to be about 10 amps. :-(
    Oh well. No free rides, eh?

Wait. Is that a mercury half wave?
    sKiZo
    sKiZo

Post by sKiZo Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:04 pm

Just have to build a separate power supply to drive one of them bad boys.

(Didn't say it'd be easy, eh)  What a Face

If you're really seriously concerned, the WS1 copper cap is rated to 1000ma. Never saw the need here myself - my GZ37 seems quite happy driving a quad of TungSol KT120's and 6SN7 driver at what some folk might consider insane levels.

PS ... I still have a WZ68 copper cap here for backup. That's rated to 450ma and also still has the slow start that's missing on the WS1.
    Itchy

Post by Itchy Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:33 pm

To wet my appetite, I just ordered this little guy for an amp at work. Currently using a digital 3116 TPA that I have all of $14 into (and it sounds surprisingly decent). Anyone have any experience with china cheapie kits? https://www.ebay.com/itm/123063908099
    Hello from a Tube Wanna Be.. Yet Another Rectifier Question! TB2RVnAtVXXXXaeXpXXXXXXXXXX_%21%212529159729
    Hello from a Tube Wanna Be.. Yet Another Rectifier Question! TB2FF64tVXXXXaNXXXXXXXXXXXX_%21%212529159729
    Hello from a Tube Wanna Be.. Yet Another Rectifier Question! TB29ewbtVXXXXXjXXXXXXXXXXXX_%21%212529159729

Pretty sure I will be sorely dissapointed but it's for work and not my "real" listening enjoyment. For $200 to the door, not expecting nirvana anyway.
    It's single ended and the speakers at the work crash pad are polk towers that seem efficient.
    billinrio
    billinrio

Post by billinrio Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:54 am

Well, it certainly looks nice. I hope that you receive some answers with opinions about this kind of equipment from China.
    Itchy

Post by Itchy Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:03 pm

I'll post about it when I receive/ build it if you would like. New to this forum obviously, so I don't know if it would be bad form or not. It certainly is not anything near the standards of a kit from here (more toy like I think). I hope to build a pair of 125's in a few months...
    billinrio
    billinrio

Post by billinrio Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:45 pm

Looks good to me. Nice, clean point-to-point layout.  I wonder if the build instructions are in understandable English.
    Tubes4ever
    Tubes4ever

Post by Tubes4ever Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:05 pm

A 5V3A tube can easily handle 350mA. That's plenty capacity to handle the four tubes biased at 50mA each plus the driver tubes. Heater current is the same as a 5U4GB which is 3 amps. Easy to get on Ebay for a decent price.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 2:40 am