The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

VTA ST-70 or STA-120 with Quad ESL-57's?

StevieRay

VTA ST-70 or STA-120 with Quad ESL-57's? Empty VTA ST-70 or STA-120 with Quad ESL-57's?

Post by StevieRay Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:26 pm

Has anyone out there heard the Quad ESL's with either of the VTA ST-70 or ST-120 kits?

The original Dynaco was always recommended as a good match with the ESL, but I'm concerned that with the new driver board the amp maybe unstable because of the feedback circuit or other changes.

Any thoughts? Hi- or low-gain preferences with the ESL-57?

Thanks
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

VTA ST-70 or STA-120 with Quad ESL-57's? Empty Re: VTA ST-120 driving difficult loads

Post by Bob Latino Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:48 pm

StevieRay,

Over the past year I have not found one speaker that is incompatible with the VTA ST-120. It has proven itself to be stable driving any and all speaker loads. I know someone in PA who uses an ST-120 to drive two Martin Logan CLS electrostatic speakers with great success. I can give you more information if send me a PM (personal message) off this board. You can also Email me at Bob01605@aol.com.

Bob Latino
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

VTA ST-70 or STA-120 with Quad ESL-57's? Empty Quads with VTA amps

Post by Roy Mottram Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:16 pm

I haven't had any Quad users give me any feedback, but I've had probably a half dozen VTA owners with Martin-Logan speakers write about the amazing sound of this combination.
    The VTA amp is much more stable than the Dynaco original as the orginal circuit was more about low cost than hi performance, and it was very marginal with loop gain and frequency response, neither a problem with the VTA design.
    Roy www.tubes4hifi.com

Sponsored content

VTA ST-70 or STA-120 with Quad ESL-57's? Empty Re: VTA ST-70 or STA-120 with Quad ESL-57's?

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:47 am