The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

FLUX Removal

StevieRay

FLUX Removal Empty FLUX Removal

Post by StevieRay Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:04 am

Just starting my VTA ST-120 build...I'm building the circuit boards first (TDR and main board).

For years I've only removed solder flux from PC boards when doing rework, or when the flux was thick, or used a flux pen for rework to help wick solder up.

What are your thoughts on the necessity of removing flux residue on new board work, and if you say 'yes', then what methods and materials do you use (preferable stuff around the house or hardware store, without buying some super $$ flux remover)?

Thanks!
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

FLUX Removal Empty Re: FLUX Removal

Post by Peter W. Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:09 am

StevieRay wrote:Just starting my VTA ST-120 build...I'm building the circuit boards first (TDR and main board).

For years I've only removed solder flux from PC boards when doing rework, or when the flux was thick, or used a flux pen for rework to help wick solder up.

What are your thoughts on the necessity of removing flux residue on new board work, and if you say 'yes', then what methods and materials do you use (preferable stuff around the house or hardware store, without buying some super $$ flux remover)?

Thanks!

If you are using a high-quality 37/63 eutectic rosin-core solder, there should be no reason for flux removal after the fact. Keep the tip clean, hot enough, and don't go all blobs with the solder, and you will be fine. I am assuming that you are using lead/tin solder, not RHoS-compliant solder. Should you be using the latter, there are any number of flux-removers on the after-market should there be too much residue.

https://gokimco.com//media/catalog/product/cache/1/Base%20Image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/e/s/es1696_2.jpg

Post by Guest Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:25 am

Last edited by PeterCapo on Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
    StevieRay

Post by StevieRay Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:42 am

I would need to look when at home again this evening, but I believe it's Kester "44" tin/lead (no RHoS for me!).  Very fine gauge.

I have some silver solder but to be honest I've never really used it but a few times -- and I sit here thinking "why" did I use it at all on a 'normal' audio circuit?
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:57 am

StevieRay wrote:I would need to look when at home again this evening, but I believe it's Kester "44" tin/lead (no RHoS for me!).  Very fine gauge.

I have some silver solder but to be honest I've never really used it but a few times -- and I sit here thinking "why" did I use it at all on a 'normal' audio circuit?

Just be sure that it is eutectic solder (67% tin, 37% lead) and you will be fine.
    cci1492
    cci1492

Post by cci1492 Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:55 pm

New2Tubez

Post by New2Tubez Mon Nov 05, 2018 11:52 pm

StevieRay wrote:I would need to look when at home again this evening, but I believe it's Kester "44" tin/lead (no RHoS for me!).  Very fine gauge.

I used Kester #44 on my ST-120 and did all my cleaning with an acid brush:
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Premier-1-2-in-Acid-Brush-144-Pack-HST10127/300333372

kimwipes:
    https://www.fishersci.com/shop/products/kimberly-clark-kimtech-science-kimwipes-delicate-task-wipers-7/p-211240

and 99% isopropyl alcohol.

I picked it up from watching an overkill NASA soldering video on youtube. Painful but I managed to learn a little along the way.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vynb_HdEIDU

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 7:46 am