The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Bucking Transformer

Peter W.
    Peter W.

Bucking Transformer Empty Bucking Transformer

Post by Peter W. Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:32 am

I was asked about bucking transformers just recently. Something that could be seen as a permanent fix against chronically high line voltages.

There is nothing special about them, nor are the parts costly by any reasonable standard.

http://www.angelfire.com/electronic/funwithtubes/images/XFMR_Buck_Boost.gif

How to do it. Note that with a center-tapped secondary and a switch, one could buck either the full, or half the rating of the transformer. Just switch between the two taps. If one gets fancy, one might even add a pilot light (or two) to indicate which buck is in play.

https://www.digikey.com/products/en?keywords=266N12B%09%20

4 A at a 12 V buck. 8 A at a 6 V buck. And may be switched out if desired for no buck. There are 10 V and 5 V transformers as well, but being not as common, costs are usually higher. DO NOT cheap out on the transformer used here - it carries all the current connected to it.

For less than $50 in parts, and a little care.

Enjoy!
    cci1492
    cci1492

Bucking Transformer Empty Re: Bucking Transformer

Post by cci1492 Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:39 am

I put one together with a hammond 6.3 and used the center tap as you noted with a switch. Worked fine until last Sat into Tues when the utility power was 128-130. It's now back to 'normal' and with the bucker I'm at 114. Wonder what happened. why did it climb up so high and stay there for a few days.
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:01 am

cci1492 wrote:I put one together with a hammond 6.3 and used the center tap as you noted with a switch. Worked fine until last Sat into Tues when the utility power was 128-130. It's now back to 'normal' and with the bucker I'm at 114. Wonder what happened. why did it climb up so high and stay there for a few days.

Here is how it works with Utilities. It is called Infrastructure Creep.

Condition: Older neighborhood, fully built out, but in the days before central AC, multiple appliances and so fort. Overhead wiring:

a) Individuals start to add AC & even small space heaters.
    b) Hot Tubs
    c) Electric Dryers

At which point, the Utility has two choices:

a) Increase the overhead line gauge AND change out the distribution transformers to stay a the same at-the-service-head voltage.
    b) Increase the primary voltage so that the existing lines may carry the increased load. Much cheaper.

In areas where there are extremes of heat and cold, during such an extreme, the Utilities will often push right to the tariff limits to prevent sags and brownouts. And where they do not have that capacity, sags and brownouts are very real and dangerous phenomena.
    Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

Post by Dave_in_Va Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:15 am

cci1492
    cci1492

Post by cci1492 Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:28 am

Here's the one I threw together (that meter is a POS):

Bucking Transformer Img_7212

Bucking Transformer Img_7210

Sponsored content