The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+6
Dale Stevens
ggnarley
peterh
pedrocols
audiobill
Cool Ohm
10 posters

Introduction - hello from a tube noob

Cool Ohm
    Cool Ohm

Introduction - hello from a tube noob Empty Introduction - hello from a tube noob

Post by Cool Ohm Sat May 25, 2019 2:05 pm

Hello Everyone!

I thought a quick word of intro from this new member was in order...

I had been on the hunt for a Dynaco amp for quite a while having never heard tubes before and suffering from a serious case of audio curiosity.  My plan was to build an ST-35 using Gillespie's boards, or a VTA-70.  

I have been heavily into audio since I was a kid, thanks to my dear Dad.  In the 70's his system consisted of a Phase Linear 400 with matching control center (the one with the joystick) and another 100 WPC AR integrated.  At one end of the living room was a pair of Walsh Ohm F's and at the other end some huge Tannoys with the Monitor Gold 15 in. drivers.  The dining room speakers were Dynacos and thus this was a much revered name in our household.  Best of all, he had a great music collection and encouraged my brothers and I to use his system as much as we liked.  We played it loud and amazingly never fried anything (he fused all his speakers).  Anyways, many years have passed since then and the Ohms were evicted by my stepmother.  They ended up in my basement about 10 years ago.  I have been collecting serious power amps ever since (Hafler 500, Carver M-1.0t, etc.).  Recently I was introduced to Klipsch speakers and now own some Heresys (from 1984).  These are now my main workhorse in my living room and see most of the listening action.  This is what really got me curious about tube sound.

A few weeks ago I found and purchased a modded Stereo 70 in Toronto.  It appears to be basically a pair of original cloth-insulated wire OPTs with a new chassis and octal version of the VTA driver board.  I bought a cage for it recently that has not arrived yet.

Here are some pictures:

Photos

You might notice there are no front sockets, so setting the bias was a hassle.  That took me an evening...  Anyway the next evening I fired this thing up and I was just blown away.  I could not stop listening to it!  I think this amp has now become permanent - and will only be pulled out of rotation for mods!  One of the first mods on my list is adding the triode-pentode switches and a set of front sockets!

So that's my story for now.  I would love to hear any suggestions you might have for tubes and modifications!

Best regards,

David Landsberg (aka Cool Ohm)
    Ottawa, ON
    audiobill

Introduction - hello from a tube noob Empty Re: Introduction - hello from a tube noob

Post by audiobill Sat May 25, 2019 6:38 pm

Welcome!
    pedrocols
    pedrocols

Introduction - hello from a tube noob Empty Re: Introduction - hello from a tube noob

Post by pedrocols Sat May 25, 2019 10:05 pm

Welcome!
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Sun May 26, 2019 2:45 am

Welcome!

As for advice : if you ever get into problems with your eqip, then get proper schematics, study and
    figure out which components failures that could cause your problems. Figure out a measurement that
    would support or reject the theory, measure . If you found the culprit, replace it and test again.
    If it don't work, mount back and try another theory.

Never start exchanging / modding in the hopes that the problem will go away . Avoid snakeoil
    solutions, don't trust ads and/or salesmen. If in doubt, keep the original design.
    Cool Ohm
    Cool Ohm

Post by Cool Ohm Sun May 26, 2019 6:11 am

peterh wrote:Welcome!

As for advice : if you ever get into problems with your eqip, then get proper schematics, study and
    figure out which components failures that could cause your problems. Figure out a measurement that
    would support or reject the theory, measure . If you found the culprit, replace it and test again.
    If it don't work, mount back and try another theory.

Never start exchanging / modding in the hopes that the problem will go away . Avoid snakeoil
    solutions, don't trust ads and/or salesmen. If in doubt, keep the original design.

Thanks for the welcome and for the sage advice. Over the past few years I have done a few restorations of my SS gear and some speaker restorations. There have been times where I started changing things in hopes of discovering the problem by elimination. That approach never worked for me even once!

David
    ggnarley
    ggnarley

Introduction - hello from a tube noob Empty Welcome

Post by ggnarley Sun May 26, 2019 6:44 am

Welcome

Dale Stevens

Post by Dale Stevens Sun May 26, 2019 9:50 am

Welcome, Cool. This is a neat forum. Any questions you have can be answered here.
    Most of us use Bob Lantino here and Roy at Dynakit parts for stuff. Jim McShane is my go-to
    guy for tube needs. Also SEARCH mode here is your friend. Dale
    Tubes4ever
    Tubes4ever

Post by Tubes4ever Sun May 26, 2019 11:27 am

peterh wrote:

I totally second Peter's comment.  Thus my avatar.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sun May 26, 2019 4:40 pm

Introduction - hello from a tube noob BECGEdy

David,

Just one caveat on the board installation ... The board in your amp (as seen in the photo above) should have been installed on the UNDERSIDE of the chassis and not on the TOP of the chassis. On a topside installation of the board those four ORANGE wires and the RED/BLACK wire would not have to snake under the edge of the chassis opening. Those four orange wires are right up against a 90 degree edge of the chassis. Now those wires will probably never short to the chassis but still it is not a good idea to install the board this way with wires up against a corner edge of the chassis.

Bob
    rjpjnk

Post by rjpjnk Sun May 26, 2019 4:53 pm

Welcome Mr Cool Ohm!

Glad to hear your new amp sounds great. VTA makes an awesome driver board, and you got the big ones! It will be a piece of cake to add triode/Ultralinear switches, and front tube sockets if you want them.
    Cool Ohm
    Cool Ohm

Post by Cool Ohm Sun May 26, 2019 5:13 pm

Thanks Bob and rjpjnk...

I might relocate that board to the underside when I replace the sockets and move two old ones to the front. I guess that would be a good time to install the triode switches. Is there a specific wire spec. that I should use?

Best regards,

D
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Mon May 27, 2019 9:50 am

David,
    Welcome to Tommy's Holiday Camp. If we don't have the right answers for you, we'll make sumpin' up that's damn impressive.
    Cheerio,
    David (as well)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 16, 2024 8:41 pm