The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+3
WLT
rjpjnk
ggnarley
7 posters

Just my opinion

ggnarley
    ggnarley

Just my opinion Empty Just my opinion

Post by ggnarley Tue May 28, 2019 9:26 pm

I have 4 crates of lp's in basement from college years. Haven't played them in years. Have a smaller number of CD's that are only burned to flac then played. If I want a variety, I will try a streaming radio station to catch something new or songs I haven't heard in a long time. My kids have never bought any music on media. (oldest is early 20's). To be fair, I am still busy with other things most of the time, so don't get many uninterrupted listening sessions of any length.

Only see it as a very small niche market going forward.

Just my take.

rjpjnk

Just my opinion Empty Re: Just my opinion

Post by rjpjnk Thu May 30, 2019 5:53 pm

I feel similarly. I have 5 kids (oldest 27) and three of them are seriously into music and/or musicians, and nearly 100% off their music is through streaming services. The only music they have ever purchased is a few vinyl LPs, and that is only because vinyl is recently "cool" again.

Streaming music services have been both good and bad in my opinion. The good is obvious, unlimited access to pretty much anything you could ever want to hear at your finger tips, and totally portable, and for a very cheap monthly price. The bad is that people have gotten used to the sound of compressed formats, and and the music has become less special somehow. It used to be that when you purchased an album you played the whole thing, not just some random tracks, and then you would call up your friends and have them come over to listen to it. Imagine that? Not everybody having their own copy? And you would hold it in your hands, read the liner notes and look at the artwork too. It was a more physical and tangible experience that cannot even be described to anyone who didn't grow up with it. No one has a "collection" anymore. There is nothing to collect.

Well, I suppose there are some digital collectors for lossless stuff, but that's temporary too. Everything will be lossless soon.

So... Thanks for bringing up this interesting point. Though it is not a "Dynaco" topic per se, for me it touches the very soul of why I like tube gear in the first place. Vinyl and tubes just go together.
    WLT
    WLT

Post by WLT Thu May 30, 2019 8:22 pm

I enjoy both the streaming audio and vinyl. I got rid of all the other source hardware including my Dyna FM3. It is nice to have both sources. I built a phono preamp for the vinyl and a passive preamp for both to go thru. Plenty of gain from both sources to drive the vintage Dynaco amps.

The streaming audio is fun to learn about. I have a Bluesound Node 2 which works great and needs little in the way of effort. I also have two Raspberry Pis. These are a lot more effort and bring me back to the Dynaco kits I built when I was young. You have to buy all the parts, put them together and then figure out how to make the software link it all together. Interesting stuff and still a little frustrating. You really need a subscription to a music service to get the best of streaming audio. I use Tidal which will stream MQA files thru the Node 2. It helps to have three systems set up to experiment with.
    Peter W.
    Peter W.

Post by Peter W. Fri May 31, 2019 12:09 pm

All God's creatures got a place in the choir
    Some sing low and some sing higher,
    Some sing out loud on a telephone wire,
    Some just clap their hands, or paws, or anything they've got now. (Bill Staines)

I keep vinyl, reel tape, cassette tape, CDs and (several) tuners.
    Pillo69
    Pillo69

Post by Pillo69 Fri May 31, 2019 5:10 pm

I have a Revox B77 for reel, a professional Uher tape player, a turntable and valvular equipment. I don't contemplate digital music.
    I also have a mono amplifier with EQ (Bell 2200B) and a full-range speaker for the first records of 33 and 78 rpm.

The last records made in the years 80 were recorded by digital systems and the sound is worse, just like the current copies (made of CDs).
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Fri May 31, 2019 5:31 pm

Pillo69 wrote:I have a Revox B77 for reel, a professional Uher tape player, a turntable and valvular equipment. I don't contemplate digital music.
    I also have a mono amplifier with EQ (Bell 2200B) and a full-range speaker for the first records of 33 and 78 rpm.

The last records made in the years 80 were recorded by digital systems and the sound is worse, just like the current copies (made of CDs).

So true!
    Dale Stevens

Post by Dale Stevens Fri May 31, 2019 5:50 pm

Vinyl is my take. Thorens 280 table (Ortofon red ) via Dyna PAT5 Bi , VTA ST-120 over to K Horns. All is dead quiet even at half volume from the phono stage ( it really is PeterW ) Just scored a Cash album from the Folsum prison , unopened , as a gift from a girl that thinks i'm cute!! I am, however gonna try the DeePee route and go Spotify from a dedicated Dell laptop. Let ya'll know. Dale

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 7:57 pm