The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

VTA PH16X help!

69Cutlass

VTA PH16X help! Empty VTA PH16X help!

Post by 69Cutlass Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:28 pm

Just completed my PH16X kit rechecked everything twice. Hooked directly to my VTA ST-120 with stepped attenuator, at first only the right speaker had sound. Rechecked, I forgot to adjust the dip switches, all were off. Now all dip switches off except S1-B, now both speakers work, BUT, have to have the volume at maximum to hear anything.

My cartridge is a Nagaoka MP-110 which calls for 47K ohms and 150-200pf.

ST-120 hooked directly to CD player performs perfectly.

Any help would be appreciated.

I emailed Roy, I am sure I screwed up somewhere! Crying or Very sad

VTA PH16X help! VTA1_zpsqb7asjjx" />

VTA PH16X help! Empty Re: VTA PH16X help!

Post by Guest Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:29 pm

have you checked all supply voltages?
    One thing I am noticing with your build, even though you have twisted all the wires, are you running the AC supply wires to the transformers together with the DC wires?
    If yes, I strongly recommend that you separate them. I would run the AC wires along the outside of the power switch to the transformers. You may need to install a new set of AC wires if the current ones are not long enough to route them on the outside of the power switch and away from the pcb's.
    This has nothing to do with your current issue, but it is really important to keep AC wiring as far away from DC wiring as possible, even though they are all twisted!
    69Cutlass

Post by 69Cutlass Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:35 pm

erhard-audio wrote:have you checked all supply voltages?
    One thing I am noticing with your build, even though you have twisted all the wires, are you running the AC supply wires to the transformers together with the DC wires?
    If yes, I strongly recommend that you separate them. I would run the AC wires along the outside of the power switch to the transformers. You may need to install a new set of AC wires if the current ones are not long enough to route them on the outside of the power switch and away from the pcb's.
    This has nothing to do with your current issue, but it is really important to keep AC wiring as far away from DC wiring as possible, even though they are all twisted!

Yes, all voltages checked and within tolerances. Thank you for the advice on the AC/DC wiring, I will fix that.

EDIT:

Just heard from Roy, he recommended I check all connections. Will report back after I do that.

I am sure he is correct as whenever I take the top off to check something and reinstall it does something different. Now it is playing through only one channel, the left channel out of the right speaker!
    mijohn

Post by mijohn Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:31 pm

If you haven't seen them already, check out these links to a couple of pictorial PH16X builds? They should be good to double-check your wiring against.

http://tubes4hifi.com/PH16X-2016.htm

http://tubes4hifi.com/PH16X-2018.htm
    Dneu2011

Post by Dneu2011 Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:48 am

I built one of these and had the same issue when installing an SUT. I realized I had applied too much solder to the center rca on one channel and it overflowed onto the ground of the rca terminal. Check the side that is bad and make sure you didn’t apply too much solder or any of the leads are too long and touching metal.
    69Cutlass

Post by 69Cutlass Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:39 am

Roy was right, it was a bad connection, too much heat on the right channel signal in connection on the PCB caused the insulation to melt away and allow the wires to touch. Fixed it and the PH16X works perfectly!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:43 pm