The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+6
deepee99
HarryY
Bob Latino
Roy Mottram
cci1492
LeGrace
10 posters

Resistor Type and One Other Question

Resistor Type and One Other Question - Page 2 Empty Re: Resistor Type and One Other Question

Post by Guest Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:16 pm

Last edited by PeterCapo on Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
    gktamps
    gktamps

Resistor Type and One Other Question - Page 2 Empty Re: Resistor Type and One Other Question

Post by gktamps Mon Aug 19, 2019 1:29 pm

I have long found the info at www.resistorguide.com to be helpful - check the links Peter W. provided.

Haven't read this document thoroughly, but it provides a table for baking resistors.

http://www.rcdcomponents.com/rcd/technical.htm

Click on Resistor FAQ's.

Other info on baking I've found online have been anecdotal without much in the way of references to testing.

Post by Guest Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:06 am

Last edited by PeterCapo on Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:37 am

PeterCapo wrote:Again, I don't dispute the technical differences between different resistor types, as would be manifest and quantified in an R&D laboratory, for instance.  Numbers don't lie - not even with carbon comp resistors.  Meaning, it's worth remembering that classic audio gear originally achieved very good distortion and frequency response figures using carbon comps, for example.

This is quite true but some carbon composition resistors from the "vintage days" were found after many years to sometimes drift in their value (usually upward). If you have two channels on an amp, it is possible after many years that some of the resistors don't match very well from channel to channel. Older carbon composition can sometimes absorb moisture.

Check out the Google link below about carbon composition resistor value drift.

Carbon composition resistor value drift

Bob

Post by Guest Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:44 am

Last edited by PeterCapo on Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
    HiGHFLYiN9
    HiGHFLYiN9

Post by HiGHFLYiN9 Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:04 pm

I feel like the most important part of the thread is being glossed over. Having resistors burn out is a safety issue and it means there is something amiss with the circuit, potentially the wiring is incorrect, or the value of the parts used do not have enough headroom. It could have something to do with a solid state rectifier putting more stress on the circuit if you are using one. I recommend gathering some values with your multimeter (using proper safety precautions) and share them with Bob/Tubes4HiFi to ensure everything is working at the proper spec. Using a variac is a good safety precaution as others have mentioned. Bob may recommend using higher wattage resistors as a precaution.

As far as resistor types, everyone has their religion opinion, which is perfectly fine. Most carbon comps drift over the decades (very significantly as I've measured in 60s era gear), but many people (including venerable audio engineers like Pete Millett) use them as grid resistors. They are noisy and technically not good in the signal path, but they have a sweet/warm sound. If you can afford tantalum resistors in the signal path, they are widely considered the best. At $4 to $10 each, it's a bit much for most people. I personally like carbon film for signal and vishay metal film for everything else. For wirewound, Mills non-inductive generally sounds better in audio circuits than something like like metal oxide or sandcast. If you're not particular, you can use vishay metal film for just about everything and it'll work well.

Best thing to do is just experiment with different resistor types and come up with your own opinion Very Happy

Post by Guest Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:38 pm

Last edited by PeterCapo on Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:53 am

Check out the Youtube video below on carbon composition resistors. They probably could be used in some high voltage applications but IMHO, they have no place in tube audio where tolerances have to be kept close.

Bob

1973shovel

Post by 1973shovel Thu Aug 29, 2019 11:16 am

PeterCapo wrote:I remember seeing bake-out procedures in a couple of places online, but I cannot remember where.  Do you know where to find them?

Here's where I posted the carbon composition resistor baking procedure, taken from an old Allen-Bradley data sheet. (If anyone wants the complete A-B data sheet, feel free to email me). Moisture seems to be the culprit, so I store in-tolerance carbon comps in small, lidded containers, with a small desiccant pack, like the ones which come inserted in a bottle of vitamins, for example.

https://db.audioasylum.com/mhtml/m.html?forum=tubediy&n=265947&highlight=bake+1973shovel&search_url=%2Fcgi%2Fsearch.mpl

As to the usefulness of carbon comp resistors, I'm in agreement with Pete Millett, Eli Duttman, PeterCapo, and peterh, with his following quote:

carbon comp resistors are non inductive, thus they keep their properties way up in frequency. That's why they are the best for grid and screen stoppers. And as such they do not add noise and their exact values are of no concern. wrote:

The "sound" of different types of resistors aside, carbon comps are the optimum choice for stopper positions, and as peterh also noted, their exact value isn't critical. Start with them in tolerance, and even if they do drift over the years, your electrolytic caps are probably shot by that time anyway, so check and replace (if necessary) the carbon comp stopper resistors when you're replacing the caps. Simple enough.

Post by Guest Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:23 pm

Last edited by PeterCapo on Mon Nov 30, 2020 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
    1973shovel

Post by 1973shovel Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:47 pm

I just finished watching the video where he shows carbon films and metal films have an increase in inductance over the carbon comps. He says "You're probably going to be using chip resistors, so you wouldn't have to worry about it". We know we're not using chip resistors in our tube amps.

I also found it rather ironic that the guy's name is "The Radio Mechanic", yet he never mentions that it's wrong to indiscriminately swap out carbon comps for metal films (for example) in RF circuits, if they were originally built using carbon comps. More than a few Dynaco FM-3s have been screwed up by these substitutions. One article I have on parts substitution says, "Pure carbon composition resistors decrease in value much faster than film types in RF circuits, therefore if you replace carbon composition with a film type, in some RF circuitry , there may be a change in circuit operation." If you find an old tube radio, for example, don't just change all the resistors in the RF sections to carbon film or metal film if it was originally designed with carbon composition resistors. The engineers knew the characteristics of carbon comps in an RF (radio frequency) circuit and took that into account when they designed it.

I happily use carbon film and metal film resistors in my amps, except in the grid and screen stopper positions, where I insist on carbon composition.
    HarryY
    HarryY

Post by HarryY Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:31 pm

I have a whole bunch of unused carbon comp resistors.

I should gatherer them up and sell them on ebay.

cci1492
    cci1492

Post by cci1492 Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:33 pm

HarryY wrote:I have a whole bunch of unused carbon comp resistors.

bake'em first Very Happy
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:13 am

cci1492 wrote:

bake'em first Very Happy
    And say these are of the rare, polarized one-directional design, and don't "blossom" until about 5K hours.
    HarryY
    HarryY

Post by HarryY Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:43 am

deepee99 wrote:
    cci1492 wrote:

I should gatherer them up and sell them on ebay

bake'em first Very Happy
    And say these are of the rare, polarized one-directional design, and don't "blossom" until about 5K hours.

Plus they have been stored in a temperature controlled environment.

I will occasionally use one in a test circuit if I don't have a better one on hand.
    But mostly never used them due to their size.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 18, 2024 8:19 pm