The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

4 posters

Food fight warning - the best 6922

deepee99
    deepee99

Food fight warning - the best 6922 Empty Food fight warning - the best 6922

Post by deepee99 Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:32 am

I have read and heard that there are iterations of the basic 6922 (6/7DJ8 comes to mind) that perform beautifully in an audio circuit.
    I have a VTA PH-16 with generic Bugle Boys. I'd love to hear this preamp with a real set of tubes in it, even the knock-offs from the current crop of newer valves.
    If it were your PH-16, which tube-set would you choose?
    Dave_in_Va
    Dave_in_Va

Food fight warning - the best 6922 Empty Re: Food fight warning - the best 6922

Post by Dave_in_Va Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:17 pm

White label USA Amperex 7308.
    (I'm sure the orange labels sound just as good. The orange label came in 1967.)
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:02 am

Potential TV commercial:

Uber hot super-model type babe in coveralls and a ball cap over a pony tail screeches to a halt in front of Dave's house in her utility panel van. On the van's side, a logo not unlike the suggestive graphic of our friends at the Horne Shop:

http://www.thehornshoppe.com

The name of the business? Who cares!

Driver hops out, walks suggestively up to Dave, raking the leaves in his front yard. She leans over, just a bit too close, suggestively whispering in his ear, "Are those Bugle Boy tubes your pre-amp is sporting?"

Dave, grinning the sly grin of a pilot who knows what it means to cruise at flight level 52.8, replies "Why yes [pregnant pause], they ARE Bugle Boys."

"I thought so!" is her only reply, as she turns on her (inappropriately high for coveralls) high heels, and hops back in her truck, and zooms away!

Dave!? What do you have against Bugle Boys?
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:19 am

Tube Nube wrote:Potential TV commercial:

Uber hot super-model type babe in coveralls and a ball cap over a pony tail screeches to a halt in front of Dave's house in her utility panel van. On the van's side, a logo not unlike the suggestive graphic of our friends at the Horne Shop:

http://www.thehornshoppe.com

The name of the business? Who cares!

Driver hops out, walks suggestively up to Dave, raking the leaves in his front yard. She leans over, just a bit too close,  suggestively whispering in his ear, "Are those Bugle Boy tubes your pre-amp is sporting?"

Dave, grinning the sly grin of a pilot who knows what it means to cruise at flight level 52.8, replies "Why yes [pregnant pause], they ARE Bugle Boys."

"I thought so!" is her only reply, as she turns on her (inappropriately high for coveralls) high heels, and hops back in her truck, and zooms away!

Dave!? What do you have against Bugle Boys?
    Hey Tailspin, how goes it? These aren't the super deluxe Bugle Boys with the gold pins and white lettering.
    Tube Nube
    Tube Nube

Post by Tube Nube Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:48 am

Well if there's one thing I hate more than Fake News, it's fake Bugle Boys.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Post by deepee99 Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:13 pm

Tube Nube wrote:Well if there's one thing I hate more than Fake News, it's fake Bugle Boys.
    Better yet, subscribe to Babylon Bee, my only source for true fake news.
    deepee99
    deepee99

Food fight warning - the best 6922 Empty Yet another PH-16 question

Post by deepee99 Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:50 pm

If you were to put your best pair of 6922s and an OK one, which hole(s) benefit from a higher-grade tube(s).
    Is the architecture the same as an SP-14?
    10-E-C
    10-E-C

Post by 10-E-C Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:36 pm

deepee99 wrote:If you were to put your best pair of 6922s and an OK one, which hole(s) benefit from a higher-grade tube(s).
    Is the architecture the same as an SP-14?  

I put a quad of Matsushita pc88 in Holgers phono pre-amp and like them really well, calmed down some of the mid-range brightness, with solid bass and a nice top end.

TM

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 am