The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

+3
mijohn
Bob Latino
MechEngVic
7 posters

Very low bias and hum on Dynakit ST-70

lagwil
    lagwil

Very low bias and hum on Dynakit ST-70 Empty Very low bias and hum on Dynakit ST-70

Post by lagwil Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:09 pm

Say the happiness that lasts forever. Just when I was so pleased with my set up, the amp gave up on me...

Last night, after many hours of use, the amp began to hum, not through the speakers, but the thing itself. Today I started troubleshooting by measuring Bias. It measures only 0.45 volts instead of 1.56! When I adjust on the pots, the value does not increase above 1 volt. The hum varies with the adjustment. Tried to replace the rectifier tube but no difference.

Any help on troubleshooting is very much appreciated!
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Very low bias and hum on Dynakit ST-70 Empty Re: Very low bias and hum on Dynakit ST-70

Post by Bob Latino Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:17 pm

lagwil wrote:Say the happiness that lasts forever. Just when I was so pleased with my set up, the amp gave up on me...

Last night, after many hours of use, the amp began to hum, not through the speakers, but the thing itself. Today I started troubleshooting by measuring Bias. It measures only 0.45 volts instead of 1.56! When I adjust on the pots, the value does not increase above 1 volt. The hum varies with the adjustment. Tried to replace the rectifier tube but no difference.

If this is an original Dynakit from the 1960's ..

1. Try replacing the quad cap. On older Dynaco amps, these caps start to leak. When the do leak, the amp won't bias properly.

2. If you still have the selenium rectifier for the bias system, replace it with a diode.

3. Replace the two 50 uF caps on the 7 lug terminal strip.

Bob
    lagwil
    lagwil

Very low bias and hum on Dynakit ST-70 Empty Re: Very low bias and hum on Dynakit ST-70

Post by lagwil Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:35 pm

Bob Latino wrote:
    lagwil wrote:Say the happiness that lasts forever. Just when I was so pleased with my set up, the amp gave up on me...

If this is an original Dynakit from the 1960's ..

1. Try replacing the quad cap. On older Dynaco amps, these caps start to leak. When the do leak, the amp won't bias properly.

2. If you still have the selenium rectifier for the bias system, replace it with a diode.

3. Replace the two 50 uF caps on the 7 lug terminal strip.

Bob

Thanks Bob but all of the above is already done. Replaced the selenium rectifier and caps three month ago. The quad cap is about one year old.

/Wilhelm
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:44 pm

Maybe a bad choke ? That choke should measure maybe 55 to 70 ohms across the two terminals.

Bob
    lagwil
    lagwil

Post by lagwil Sun Dec 01, 2019 4:39 pm

Bob Latino wrote:Maybe a bad choke ? That choke should measure maybe 55 to 70 ohms across the two terminals.

Bob

Ok, do I understand correctly that the choke is connected to terminal 1 and 2 on the quad cap and that I can measure resistance there with the amp turned off?

Sorry for my basic questions but my knowledge in electronics are limited... Very Happy

Very low bias and hum on Dynakit ST-70 Dynaki10
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:03 pm

Yes - because the quad cap terminals have a very high resistance, you can just measure across those two terminals with the amp OFF and still be fairly close to the resistance of the choke.

Bob
    MechEngVic
    MechEngVic

Post by MechEngVic Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:51 pm

Any luck? Let us know what happens, we can all learn form your issue. And don't worry, this is how you will slowly but surely take command of of that amp.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:23 am

I'd start with examining the DC voltages as per the manual.
    lagwil
    lagwil

Post by lagwil Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:28 pm

Bob Latino wrote:Maybe a bad choke ? That choke should measure maybe 55 to 70 ohms across the two terminals.

Bob

Very low bias and hum on Dynakit ST-70 20191211

It measures 61.8 Ohm. I also measured the 15.6 ohms resistor and they measures 15.7 wich I guess is good enough?
    MechEngVic
    MechEngVic

Post by MechEngVic Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:50 pm

lagwil wrote:

Bob

It measures 61.8 Ohm. I also measured the 15.6 ohms resistor and they measures 15.7 wich I guess is good enough?

Start following that low bias voltage backwards towards its source, you might have a bad component/connection back in the chain. I don't see how the buzz is explained by this but it does need to be resolved. I know it's probably the first thing you checked but you haven't mentioned them: Have you tried swapping around your tubes? A bad tube can cause buzz and skew voltages.
    lagwil
    lagwil

Post by lagwil Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:10 pm

MechEngVic wrote:
    lagwil wrote:

Bob

Start following that low bias voltage backwards towards its source, you might have a bad component/connection back in the chain. I don't see how the buzz is explained by this but it does need to be resolved. I know it's probably the first thing you checked but you haven't mentioned them: Have you tried swapping around your tubes? A bad tube can cause buzz and skew voltages.

Actually I havn't since I thought low voltage in both channels indicated something else. Also they are only eight months old. Is it possible to take all tubes out and still measure bias?
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:25 pm

1. Take out the tubes and measure the AC voltage to chassis ground from pin 4 and then pin 6 of the rectifier tube socket. See if you get about 350 to 375 AC at both measuring points. If you don't then the transformer is bad.

2. Also measure the AC voltage to chassis ground where the RED/BLACK wire connects to the diode that replaced the selenium rectifier. You should get 50 to 60 volts AC to chassis ground. If you don't then the transformer is bad.

Bob
    mijohn

Post by mijohn Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:17 pm

lagwil wrote:Last night, after many hours of use, the amp began to hum, not through the speakers, but the thing itself. Today I started troubleshooting by measuring Bias. It measures only 0.45 volts instead of 1.56! When I adjust on the pots, the value does not increase above 1 volt. The hum varies with the adjustment. Tried to replace the rectifier tube but no difference.

Just thought I would remind people of the OP's original description of the problem, which seems to me that he is describing a mechanical issue rather than an electronic one. Is the variable hum he hears when he adjusts the bias heard through the speakers or the amp itself? The mechanical hum and the bias problem could be separate issues.

Mechanical hum has been discussed a number of times on this forum concerning the ST-70 and SP-14 amps. See links below:

https://dynacotubeaudio.forumotion.com/t3524-mechanical-hum-power-transformer?highlight=mechanical+hum

https://dynacotubeaudio.forumotion.com/search?mode=searchbox&search_keywords=mechanical+hum&show_results=topics
    lagwil
    lagwil

Post by lagwil Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:02 am

Bob Latino wrote:1. Take out the tubes and measure the AC voltage to chassis ground from pin 4 and then pin 6 of the rectifier tube socket. See if you get about 350 to 375 AC at both measuring points. If you don't then the transformer is bad.

2. Also measure the AC voltage to chassis ground where the RED/BLACK wire connects to the diode that replaced the selenium rectifier. You should get 50 to 60 volts AC to chassis ground. If you don't then the transformer is bad.

Bob

Hi Bob and many thanks for all great help!

I have now made more measurements on my Dynakit. I live in Sweden and the socket should give 220–240 V 50 Hz. I measured 235V. The amp is stamped 220V.

On pin 4 and 6 on the Rectifier tube I get 386V
    Before the diod I get 57V

/Wilhelm
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:49 am

lagwil wrote:
    Bob Latino wrote:1. Take out the tubes and measure the AC voltage to chassis ground from pin 4 and then pin 6 of the rectifier tube socket. See if you get about 350 to 375 AC at both measuring points. If you don't then the transformer is bad.

Bob

I have now made more measurements on my Dynakit. I live in Sweden and the socket should give 220–240 V 50 Hz. I measured 235V. The amp is stamped 220V.

/Wilhelm
    Are you by any chance close to gothenburg ? Asking since i can fix it...
    lagwil
    lagwil

Post by lagwil Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:22 am

peterh wrote:
    lagwil wrote:

Bob

/Wilhelm
    Are you by any chance close to gothenburg ? Asking since i can fix it...

Thanks but unfortunatley not. I live in Stockholm. Very Happy
    lagwil
    lagwil

Post by lagwil Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:18 pm

Now I made a lot more measuring. Seems like capacitor lug A-D measures 30-40V to less then specs. Se all measures in the attached image:

Very low bias and hum on Dynakit ST-70 St7010
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:47 pm

Do you have another GZ34 ? You might have half a rectifier, that explains the humming
    lagwil
    lagwil

Post by lagwil Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:06 pm

Nope but I do have a 5U4GB and exactly the same resultat with that rectifier. Alao swaped all EL-34 Tubes. Same...
    lagwil
    lagwil

Post by lagwil Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:45 pm

PeterCapo wrote:Some mechanical humming from power transformers is not unusual even under normal circumstances and results from flowing current.  So, electricity and mechanical humming are definitely associated.  Sounds like he described the mechanical hum as varying with the setting of his bias pots.  The varying mechanical hum sounds like a symptom of another problem, probably whatever is causing his biasing difficulty.

If the amplifier was working fine for some time and then this problem suddenly came up, it means some part or parts, including possibly tubes, in the amp are failing.  Questions:

- were there any changes to the amp shortly preceding the onset of the current symptoms?
    - is a 3A fuse in the fuse holder, and not more than 3A?

If the problem is in one channel only, I'd try swapping the tubes from one channel to the other and see if the problem follows the tubes.

I'd also still refer back to Post n°13.

Peter, regarding your questions:
    No changes in my setup prior to the problem. Had played for a very long time though. Maybe 7-8 hours of non stop music.
    I use a slow 1,5A fuse since it is a 220V amp.

/Wilhelm
    mijohn

Post by mijohn Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:57 pm

Could an overstressed power transformer be causing the problem and producing the mechanical hum, it's rated for 220V and you're giving at least 235V. A Dynakit PA521 transformer rated at 240V would be better for your area.
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:11 pm

lagwil wrote:Nope but I do have a 5U4GB and exactly the same resultat with that rectifier. Alao swaped all EL-34 Tubes. Same...
    Time for a scope ( with > 500V probes) to look for that actual rectifier of the B+.  
    The midpoint red-yel should be grounded, the red wires connected with the
    gz34 at pin 4 and 6 should be examined for symmetrical voltages. At pin 8 of gz34
    look for the 435V and the pulsating peaks from both sides of the rectifier.

The humming transformer indicated unbalance from DC magnetizing , as if one side
    of the rectifier don't work.
    lagwil
    lagwil

Post by lagwil Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:17 pm

mijohn wrote:Could an overstressed power transformer be causing the problem and producing the mechanical hum, it's rated for 220V and you're giving at least 235V. A Dynakit PA521 transformer rated at 240V would be better for your area.

PA521 is what I have.

/Wilhelm

Last edited by lagwil on Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
    peterh
    peterh

Post by peterh Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:28 pm

lagwil wrote:
    mijohn wrote:Could an overstressed power transformer be causing the problem and producing the mechanical hum, it's rated for 220V and you're giving at least 235V. A Dynakit PA521 transformer rated at 240V would be better for your area.

PA521 is what I got.

/Wilhelm

Du kan höra med http://www.lh-musik.se/ för reparation
    lagwil
    lagwil

Post by lagwil Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:44 pm

peterh wrote:
    lagwil wrote:

PA521 is what I got.

/Wilhelm

Du kan höra med http://www.lh-musik.se/  för reparation
    Tack för tipset! De skriver iofs att ”vi tar inte emot HiFi”

/Wille

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:10 am