The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Mark lll Power Supply Transformer Temperature

TN Allen

Mark lll Power Supply Transformer Temperature Empty Mark lll Power Supply Transformer Temperature

Post by TN Allen Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:47 pm

I decided to switch to a new thread from the previous "Proposed Mark lll Layout" thread. There are photos of the amp on it.

About how warm should the PS transformer on a Mark lll using a SS rectifier substitute for a rectifier tube run?
    I checked with a temperature probe on a Klein multi-meter. After warming up for an hour and with no input signal, the surface of the PS transformer on the Mark lll reads about 130F. The adjacent KT88s' surface temperature is about 270F. I'm not certain how accurate the probe is.

The bias on each tube is ~.478 and the B+ at the VTA Mark lll driver board is 463V. This is the Version 11 VTA board. The instructions suggest 400-440V. Is there a resistor I can change to bring this voltage down?

After assembling this amplifier, it's not a standard Mark lll chassis, I added a 40mm fan and peppered the bottom plate with holes. The air is drawn out of the chassis over the SS rectifier is cool.

Is 130F to be expected? The output transformer remains cool, I doubt its temperature rises anymore than 10 degrees, if even that. I think I read somewhere that these amplifiers run quite warm.

I'd appreciate any suggestions or observations. Thank you.
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Mark lll Power Supply Transformer Temperature Empty Re: Mark lll Power Supply Transformer Temperature

Post by Bob Latino Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:12 pm

TN Allen wrote:I decided to switch to a new thread from the previous "Proposed Mark lll Layout" thread. There are photos of the amp on it.

About how warm should the PS transformer on a Mark lll using a SS rectifier substitute for a rectifier tube run?
    I checked with a temperature probe on a Klein multi-meter. After warming up for an hour and with no input signal, the surface of the PS transformer on the Mark lll reads about 130F. The adjacent KT88s' surface temperature is about 270F. I'm not certain how accurate the probe is.

The bias on each tube is ~.478 and the B+ at the VTA Mark lll driver board is 463V. This is the Version 11 VTA board. The instructions suggest 400-440V. Is there a resistor I can change to bring this voltage down?

After assembling this amplifier, it's not a standard Mark lll chassis, I added a 40mm fan and peppered the bottom plate with holes. The air is drawn out of the chassis over the SS rectifier is cool.

Is 130F to be expected? The output transformer remains cool, I doubt its temperature rises anymore than 10 degrees, if even that. I think I read somewhere that these amplifiers run quite warm.

I'd appreciate any suggestions or observations. Thank you.

Those temperatures are pretty normal .. The power transformers can hit up to 140 degrees F or so after the amp has been on a while and the ambient temperature in the room is warm. See the 2011 forum post at the link below about tube amp temperatures..

2011 post about tube amp temperatures

Bob
    TN Allen

Mark lll Power Supply Transformer Temperature Empty Re: Mark lll Power Supply Transformer Temperature

Post by TN Allen Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:53 pm

Thank you Bob,

I guess I should do another Mark lll, or use the ST 70 with it, it's a bit cool in Maine and the extra heat is welcome provided the amplifiers aren't damaged.

Is the 463V at the driver PCB B+ eyelet as expected with a SS rectifier? tna

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:45 pm