The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Electrolytic caps in tube amps.. They do have life span ..

Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Electrolytic caps in tube amps.. They do have life span .. Empty Electrolytic caps in tube amps.. They do have life span ..

Post by Bob Latino Sun May 10, 2020 7:29 pm

Some of the original Dynaco tube amps and preamps are now over 60 years old .. Yes - you can sometimes find a cosmetically nice original Dynaco ST-70 on Ebay. If you do buy one, however, the first thing you should do is replace the quad cap and the two electrolytic caps on the 7 lug terminal strip that are part of the original Dynaco ST-70's bias system. The amp may still play OK but these caps should be replaced. Electrolytic caps, like tubes, do have a life span. Dynaco stopped producing ST-70's in about 1976 so these caps are at least 44 years old ..

Check out the video below on electrolytic caps as found in older tube gear ..

Bob
    Dale Stevens

Electrolytic caps in tube amps.. They do have life span .. Empty Re: Electrolytic caps in tube amps.. They do have life span ..

Post by Dale Stevens Mon May 11, 2020 11:52 am

So what are your recommendations on YOUR amps? I'm 6 years in on my ST120. Dale
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Electrolytic caps in tube amps.. They do have life span .. Empty Re: Electrolytic caps in tube amps.. They do have life span ..

Post by Bob Latino Mon May 11, 2020 12:02 pm

Dale Stevens wrote:So what are your recommendations on YOUR amps? I'm 6 years in on my ST120.  Dale

All the VTA amps use quality Nichicon and Elna (both are Made in Japan) and Authenticaps (Made in Germany) electrolytic capacitors. Some of these amps are now 13 - 14 years old. No one has reported (as yet) any electrolytic capacitor that has failed due to age.  These caps should last for at least 20 years ..

Bob

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 11:38 pm