The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

Don Sachs Kootenay KT88 Amp

B&WTube

Don Sachs Kootenay KT88 Amp Empty Don Sachs Kootenay KT88 Amp

Post by B&WTube on Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:01 pm

I know this amp uses the Roy's board, but has lots of mods. I was wondering if anyone has experience of this amp vs a VTA120. Thanks in advance!
    AmpedUp
    AmpedUp

Don Sachs Kootenay KT88 Amp Empty Re: Don Sachs Kootenay KT88 Amp

Post by AmpedUp on Fri Dec 25, 2020 12:26 am

I cannot speak from any experience regarding Don's KT88 amp, but I purchased his preamp over a year ago with zero issues. Don only uses premium parts in his builds and the result is beautiful sounding equipment. I am responding here just to say that you can trust that Don will sell you a quality amp and back up his product with a warranty. You will get better quality parts and sound from his build than purchasing almost any major brand. It is great that Roy and Bob sell amp kits so that we/anyone can build these amps any way to our choosing, but if you like and trust their designs and products but would just prefer to upgrade with some premium tubes, caps, resistors and wiring, you can save a few $ by building yourself or save a lot of time and trust that Don will assemble everything with reasonable labor costs. I have no problem saying that anyone purchasing one of Don's products will be at minimum satisfied with their amp and should have no fear that they are making any mistake with their purchase. At best you will join the many customers of Don that use and love their audio equipment that they purchased from Don.

Good luck with your decision... Mike

B&WTube likes this post

B&WTube

Post by B&WTube on Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:57 pm

Thanks, for your response. I would still really love to hear someone's opinion of the Don's vs the a VTA 120 or pair of M-125's. Obviously, pricing on Don's is almost triple a VTA 120, so I would just love to hear the thoughts of someone who has heard both...if that person exists Very Happy I would even be OK hearing someone's assessment on the design differences between the 2.
    aguaazul
    aguaazul

Post by aguaazul on Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:39 pm

We had someone who had one of those apps but unfortunately he’s passed on.
    He had some problems with the auto bias board, after losing a set of tubes worth $1200, Then having another set of tubes taken out he got rid of the Kooteney and went directly to Holger and picked up a couple of his mono blocks I think.

I have Don preamp and love it.

PM me for more details.

Aguaazul

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Jan 15, 2021 8:35 pm