The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

M-125 Build: Binding Posts VERY Close to Power Transformer

ptstucky

M-125 Build: Binding Posts VERY Close to Power Transformer Empty M-125 Build: Binding Posts VERY Close to Power Transformer

Post by ptstucky Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:56 pm

Hi all,

I’ve made some progress on my long-shelved M-125 build over the holiday break, but before I continue, I am a little concerned by how close the binding posts have ended up being to the power transformer.  They are not touching, but the middle post in particular is so close that I can just barely slip a piece of paper between it and the transformer.  

Should I be worried about this? I have all the provided spacers/washers installed, but has anyone else had to add a spacer to get a bit more clearance?

Thanks for any advice on this before I proceed.

Paul

Last edited by ptstucky on Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Could not add photo; removed reference)
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

M-125 Build: Binding Posts VERY Close to Power Transformer Empty Re: M-125 Build: Binding Posts VERY Close to Power Transformer

Post by Bob Latino Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:17 pm

ptstucky wrote:Hi all,

I’ve made some progress on my long-shelved M-125 build over the holiday break, but before I continue, I am a little concerned by how close the binding posts have ended up being to the power transformer.  They are not touching, but the middle post in particular is so close that I can just barely slip a piece of paper between it and the transformer.  

Should I be worried about this? I have all the provided spacers/washers installed, but has anyone else had to add a spacer to get a bit more clearance?

Thanks for any advice on this before I proceed.

Paul

Hi Paul,

If you install the backing board on the OUTSIDE of the chassis as instructed, you will have about 3/16 of an inch of space between the end of the speaker post and the power transformer's bottom cover. See photo below.

Bob

M-125 Build: Binding Posts VERY Close to Power Transformer M-125-binding-posts
    ptstucky

M-125 Build: Binding Posts VERY Close to Power Transformer Empty Re: M-125 Build: Binding Posts VERY Close to Power Transformer

Post by ptstucky Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:51 pm

Thanks very much for the reply, Bob.

I do have the backing board on the outside of the chassis, per the instructions, but my results seem to be much less clearance than 3/16". I have a flat washer on the outside (against the backing board), and the flat washer, star washer, and locking nut on the inside on the posts.

Hopefully the photos below can shed some light on what I might be doing wrong:

M-125 Build: Binding Posts VERY Close to Power Transformer Img-3515

M-125 Build: Binding Posts VERY Close to Power Transformer Img-3513

M-125 Build: Binding Posts VERY Close to Power Transformer Img-3514

Thanks again for any ideas.

Best,
    Paul
    Bob Latino
    Bob Latino
    Admin

Post by Bob Latino Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:42 pm

Hi Paul,

Ok - here is what probably happened .. On the M-125's I cut off the "knurl" slot on the end of the binding post to take about 1/8 of an inch off the total length of the binding post. I must have forgotten to do this on your two amps. Note that this cutting off of the knurl does not have to be done on the VTA ST-70 or ST-120 because the binding post is not near then power transformer.

What I will do is ship you out tomorrow six new binding posts of the correct length. Are you still at the same street address in Washington, DC ?

Bob
    ptstucky

Post by ptstucky Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:56 pm

Hi, Bob -

Thanks for the explanation about the knurl end on the binding posts. Very kind of you to send another set, too! (Yes, I am still at the same address.

I appreciate the continued support.

Paul

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:11 pm