The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

Pairing speakers with st-70

audio ken

Pairing speakers with st-70 Empty Pairing speakers with st-70

Post by audio ken Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:30 pm

Is it fair to say that 8 ohm taps are least strain on this amp vs 4 ohm tap? Where I am going with this is, I have several ohm snubbers for my Zu Audio Dirty Weekend speakers. Should I be aiming to bring the speakers impedance to 8 ohms for better synergy? I know that it’s best to test them but I’m wanting to avoid turning on and off testing all the various snubbers and 8/4 ohm taps.

Thx
    Neville
    ramon68

Pairing speakers with st-70 Empty Re: Pairing speakers with st-70

Post by ramon68 Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:38 pm

Just buy a stereo70. Try both taps and pick the one you like better. I don't own your speaker but mine are 98db for 1 watt in. Yours, 97db. A stereo70 should play the hell out of them.
    audio ken

Post by audio ken Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:23 pm

I ended up dropping my Omen DW to 9 ohms with snubbers on the 8 ohm tap and very impressed with the improvement. I bought the DW about 2 years ago and returned it but this new revised model with better caps is a completely different speaker for the better imho.
    Brap
    Brap

Post by Brap Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:44 pm

Not sure if it helps but I had a pair of Zu Druids and to the point below, the VTA ST-70 did play the hell out of them. Use KT-66 tubes. Downsized to Fritz Carrera BE bookshelfs and not looking in the rear view mirror at all.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 5:46 pm