The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

2 posters

Bright white Arc

Brap
    Brap

Bright white Arc Empty Bright white Arc

Post by Brap Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:05 am

On my VTA ST-70, recently noticed upon start up a bright white arc, which happens twice on the base of the rectifier tube, then does not reappear. They last for a millisecond roughly 30 seconds apart. Run the amp for several hours and does not reappear at all. Have installed the yellow sheet mod a few years ago. Do use a variac set at 118VAC. Anyone else have this happen? Thoughts?
    peterh
    peterh

Bright white Arc Empty Re: Bright white Arc

Post by peterh Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:32 am

Brap wrote:On my VTA ST-70, recently noticed upon start up a bright white arc, which happens twice on the base of the rectifier tube, then does not reappear. They last for a millisecond roughly 30 seconds apart. Run the amp for several hours and does not reappear at all. Have installed the yellow sheet mod a few years ago.  Do use a variac set at 118VAC. Anyone else have this happen?  Thoughts?
    Seen that, time to get a new GZ34 . And do check bias at the same time.
    Brap
    Brap

Post by Brap Thu Feb 11, 2021 5:48 pm

Thanks. found in my "stash" a NIB Sovtek 5AR4. Minor tweak to bias and reset to .450 - .455. All good, no arc.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:50 pm