The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
The Dynaco Tube Audio Forum

Dedicated to the restoration and preservation of all original Dynaco tube audio equipment - Customer support for Tubes4hifi VTA tube amp and preamp kits and all Dynakitparts.com products

3 posters

SP14 hum during warmup

DavidR
    DavidR

SP14 hum during warmup Empty Re: SP14 hum during warmup

Post by DavidR Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:00 pm

Some new production tubes are OK. My beef with them is that they do not sound toobie/warm. Remember, Russia and Yugoslavia (or whatever the other country is) are not the pinnacle of production/manufacture. China is the other source with cheap tubes. However, you can get some nice tubes, like Psvane, but you pay the price.

https://www.vivatubes.com/new-gain-matched-quad-psvane-6sn7-uk-vacuum-tubes/
    Roy Mottram
    Roy Mottram
    Admin

Post by Roy Mottram Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:11 pm

tubes rarely have hum, you must have some very old, very bad batch of tubes.
    New tubes never ever hum. I also stock 50s & 60s vintage Sylvania chrome domes, excellent sounding tubes.
    Also, check your environment for something else that might cause hum.
    Definitely fluorescence lamps, halogen lamps, microwave ovens, old TVs (over 10 years old), old radios, poor house wiring, bad solder connections, the list goes on.
    Roy
    www.tubes4hifi.com/SP14.htm
    ixe13

Post by ixe13 Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:35 am

Here's another example of noise source that realy had me scratching my head:
    There was a very high pitch screeching buzz coming out from my speakers (nor very  loud)connected to my ST-70 amp. A new one I bought from Bob. It appeared one day out of nowhere and was intermittent. Tried everything in the book, no luck. But what got me on the right path was the fact that it was intermittent... Something on the power line maybe?  Yep, I finaly found out that it was my roomate's Mac Display monitor that had it's power supply gone bad and it was injecting noise on the power lines in our house. As soon as the display was turned on, the noise appeared. I'm aware that's this is not the type of hum you're dealing with, but my point is try to be very methodical, and dont dismiss nothing before testing it. That one really got me going.
    Good luck.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:45 pm